Morning MelangeLogic puzzles require you to think. You will have to be logical in your reasoning.
This morning, the popular Bay area cable access TV show, "Morning Melange", featured six guests (including Francine and Evan). Each guest lives in a different town in the region (including Corte Madera), and each has a different talent or interest that was the focus of his or her segment. The segments began at 6:45, 7:00, 7:15, 7:30, 7:45 and 8:00. Discover, for each time, the full name of the featured guest, where he or she lives and his or her special interest.
1. The first three guests were, in some order: the person surnamed Ivens, the person from Berkeley and the antique car collector.
2. Damien's segment was sometime before Lautremont's segment.
3. Krieger's segment began at 7:45.
4. Alice appeared after the person from Oakland and before the person surnamed Morley.
5. The people from Berkeley and Daly City aren't of the same sex.
6. The six guests were: Cathy, the person whose first name is Damien, the person whose last name is Novak, the person from Daly City, the person from Palo Alto and the bungee jumper.
7. The last name of the financial adviser is either Lautremont or Novak.
8. Jaspersen's segment began exactly 45 minutes after the beekeeper's segment.
9. The crepe chef went on sometime before the person from Sausalito and sometime after Brandon.
10. The hypnotherapist's segment began at 7:15.
HintFemales are Alice, Cathy and Francine; males are Brandon, Damien and Evan.
Answer6:45, Damien Ivens, Oakland, Beekeeper
7:00, Alice Lautremont, Palo Alto, Antique car collector
7:15, Cathy Morley, Berkeley, Hypnotherapist
7:30, Brandon Jaspersen, Corte Madera, Bungee jumper
7:45, Evan Krieger, Daly City, Crepe Chef
8:00 Francine Novak, Sausalito, Financial Adviser
The hypnotherapist's segment began at 7:15 (10). Jaspersen's segment was in the second half (8). The beekeeper was in the first half, and was either 6:45 or 7:00 (8). Since Krieger was at 7:45 (3), then Jaspersen was at 7:30. This leaves the beekeeper at 6:45 (8). The antique car collector has to be at 7:00 (1).
The financial adviser isn't Jaspersen or Kreiger (7), and is therefore on during the 8:00 segment. Likewise, Morley can't be at 8:00 (7), or in the first two segments (4); thus Morley has to be at 7:15. This puts Alice at 7:00 and Oakland at 6:45 (4). This also puts Ivens at 6:45 and Berkeley at 7:15 (1).
The two guests in the 6:45 and 7:15 segments are neither Novak, from Daly City or Palo Alto, or interested in bungee jumping. Therefore, these guests must be Cathy and Damien (6). Therefore, Brandon is at 7:30, the chef at 7:45, and the guest from Sausalito at 8:00 (9). The bungee jumper, who must be at 7:30, cannot be from Daly City or Palo Alto, and so is from Corte Madera (6). Alice must be from either Daly City or Palo Alto, so cannot have a last name of Novak (6).
Therefore, Lautremont is in the 7:00 time slot and Novak is the 8:00 time slot. Damien was at 6:45 (2), leaving Cathy at 7:15.
Since Cathy is from Berkeley, Alice cannot be from Daly City (5), and is therefore from Palo Alto. Likewise, Kreiger, who must be from Daly City, cannot be Francine, and must be named Evan. This leaves Francine at 8:00.
See another brain teaser just like this one...
Or, just get a random brain teaser
If you become a registered user you can vote on this brain teaser, keep track of
which ones you have seen, and even make your own.
Back to Top