Presidential Wisdom IIIn Cryptography teasers, a phrase or expressions has been encoded in some way (frequently by replacing letters with other letters). You need to figure out the encoding method and then decode the message to find the answer.
Below are encoded quotes from the sixth through tenth presidents of the United States. Your task is to first decode them, and then correctly assign them to the presidents who spoke them.
6) "XNR YRDD JTSRMVGRVX UVXRMIRMRD ZUXN FMUSPXR FEMDEUXD, XNR LRXXRM ITM JRVRMPY FMTDFRMUXA."
7) "ZR PKGUX TI VT JTSRMVGRVX LA KUSUVR MUJNX....XNR TVYA YRJUXUGPXR MUJNX XT JTSRMV UD PV RWFMRDD JMPVX TI FTZRM IMTG XNR JTSRMVRK."
8) "FTDXRMUXA: ATE ZUYY VRSRM BVTZ NTZ GEON UX NPD OTDX GA JRVRMPXUTV XT FMRDRMSR ATEM IMRRKTG. U NTFR ATE ZUYY GPBR JTTK EDR TI UX."
9) "ZRPYXN OPV TVYA LR POOEGEYPXRK LA XNR RPMVUVJD TI UVKEDXMA PVK XNR DPSUVJD TI IMEJPYUXA."
10) "FRPOR, PLTSR PYY XNUVJD, UD XT LR KRDUMRK, LEX LYTTK GEDX DTGRXUGRD LR DFUYYRK XT TLXPUV UX TV RCEPLYR PVK YPDXUVJ XRMGD."
HintVowel encoding is as follows:
AnswerThe solutions are given in the order in which each president served, followed by the president's name and term in office. The answer key is below.
8) "Posterity: You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it." - John Quincy Adams 1825 - 1829
10) "Peace, above all things, is to be desired, but blood must sometimes be spilled to obtain it on equable and lasting terms." - Andrew Jackson 1829 - 1837
6) "The less government interferes with private pursuits, the better for general prosperity." - Martin Van Buren 1837 - 1841
7) "We admit of no government by divine right....the only legitimate right to govern is an express grant of power from the governed." - William Henry Harrison 1841
9) "Wealth can only be accumulated by the earnings of industry and the savings of frugality." - John Tyler 1841 - 1845
A=P . . N=V
B=L . . O=T
C=O . . P=F
D=K . . Q=C
E=R . . R=M
F=I . . S=D
G=J . . T=X
H=N . . U=E
I=U . . V=S
J=Q . . W=Z
K=B . . X=W
L=Y . . Y=A
M=G . . Z=H
See another brain teaser just like this one...
Or, just get a random brain teaser
If you become a registered user you can vote on this brain teaser, keep track of
which ones you have seen, and even make your own.
Back to Top