Zoo Animal OlympicsLogic Grid puzzles come with a handy interactive grid that will help you solve the puzzle based on the given clues.
The zebra, monkey, giraffe, elephant, and lion were all competing in the Zoo Animal Olympics. Each competed in a different event: basketball, wrestling, 110 meter hurdles, long jump, and weightlifting. Each animal wore a different color jersey: red, green, blue, orange, and yellow. All of the animals finished in the top 5 of their respective event, but none of them finished in the same place. Also note that these animals have strengths besides being good athletes. There is a mathematician, a trivia buff, a cryptographer, a scientist, and one animal that has a great ability to recognize groups with common attributes. Can you determine which animal goes with the associated Olympic event, jersey color, finishing place, and secondary skill?
1) The animal in the blue jersey finished in a better place than the animal in the yellow jersey.
2) The lion is a trivia buff.
3) The animal that competed in the 110 meter hurdles finished in a better place than the animal that competed in wrestling.
4) The cryptographer left the following message: "J BN B NPOLFZ."
5) The zebra, elephant, and lion each have a primary colored jersey.
6) Here is another message from one of the animals: "I have something in common with the following animals: skunk, tiger, clown fish, bumblebee, and coral snake."
7) The zebra finished in a better place than the lion, but a worse place than the elephant.
8) The zebra and lion's jersey colors, when mixed, make the color of the jersey the monkey wears.
9) The animal that came in 4th place was playing basketball.
10) The scientist had the following message: "There is an alkaline earth metal whose atomic number is the same as my finishing place."
11) The animal participating in the long jump finished in a lower place than the giraffe.
12) The giraffe did not wear the green jersey.
13) The trivia buff had the following message: Thomas Jefferson was the same number U.S. President as my finishing place.
14) The mathematician's Olympic event has the same number of letters as the result of this equation: (5+2)*3-8 = ?
Hint4) This is the message with the first three words decoded: I am a NPOLFZ.
6) Think appearance.
AnswerThe zebra was in the 110 meter hurdles, wore the blue jersey, finished in 2nd place, and has a great ability to recognize groups of common attributes.
The monkey was in the long jump, wore the green jersey, finishied in 5th place, and is the Cryptographer.
The giraffe was in the basketball game, wore the orange jersey, finished in 4th place, and was the scientist.
The elephant was in the weightlifting competition, wore the red jersey, finished in 1st place, and was the mathematician.
The lion was in wrestling, wore the yellow jersey, finished in 3rd place, and was the trivia buff.
Explanation of clues:
4) If you replace each letter with one that is exactly one spot to the right in the alphabet you get "I am a monkey". This is a Caesar Cipher.
6) A zebra has stripes just like the most commonly observed skunk, tiger, clown fish, bumblebee, and coral snake.
10) Beryllium is the only alkaline earth metal in the first five elements on the periodic table. Its atomic number is 4.
13) Thomas Jefferson was the third president of the United States.
14) The answer is 13. And weightlifting is the only event with 13 letters. To solve the equation you use the standard order of operations which states you solve for parentheses and exponents first, then multiplication and division, and lastly addition and subtraction.
(5+2)*3-8 = ?
(7)*3-8 = ?
See another brain teaser just like this one...
Or, just get a random brain teaser
If you become a registered user you can vote on this brain teaser, keep track of
which ones you have seen, and even make your own.
Back to Top