Tom Swifties Yet AgainLanguage brain teasers are those that involve the English language. You need to think about and manipulate words and letters.
A Tom Swifty is a play on words. Tom speaks, and the way he is said to speak is a pun - both meanings are relevant.
e.g. "I love hot dogs", Tom said frankly. "Frank" connects how he spoke and the hot dog! [Frankfurter!]
The Tom Swifty can also use a phrase or homophone.
e.g. "You didn't order enough carpet", said Tom with a cold stare.
"Cold stare" expresses his annoyance and suggests uncarpeted stairs!
Choose one of the listed words or phrases to fill each gap.
** CLUES **
1. "No, don't come in. I'm changing!" said Tom _____.
2. "This is a grave situation", said Tom, _____.
3. "Hooray! The radio reception is clear again", said Tom _____.
4. "So? Buy a proper pencil sharpener!" said Tom _____.
5. "I'm going to be head of the CIA in a few years", said Tom _____.
** WORD LIST **
bluntly, fondly, graciously, aspiringly, hopefully, ecstatically, in fun, briefly, cryptically, cautiously
** YOUR TURN! **
Think of a better Tom Swifty for one of Tom's statements in the teaser, and maybe write it as a comment.
If you really need an explanation, scroll down...
Tom Swift was an adventure hero created by American writer Victor Appleton. In the books, many of Tom's remarks were written with an adverb or adverbial phrase. From this style, the term "Tom Swifty" has come to be used for this form of word play.
** EXPLANATIONS **
1. Briefly = in his briefs!
2. Crypt is another name for a grave; a hint of mystery.
3. It sounds like ex-STATIC-ly (static spoils a radio signal).
4. The pencil was blunt and so was the way he spoke - harshly.
5. Aspiringly means "with ambition" - but it sounds like "a-SPY-RING-ly"!
See another brain teaser just like this one...
Or, just get a random brain teaser
If you become a registered user you can vote on this brain teaser, keep track of
which ones you have seen, and even make your own.
Back to Top