Not BurntScience brain teasers require understanding of the physical or biological world and the laws that govern it.
John spilt some molten metal on his hand. However, he didn't get burnt.
How can this be possible?
HintQ: Is John wearing gloves?
Q: Is John a real human on earth?
Q: Is the molten metal iron?
Q: Is John handicapped and wearing a fake hand?
AnswerThe molten metal is mercury (Hg)!
Mercury's melting point is lower than that of water and is a liquid at room temperature. It's got something to do with the very weak Hg-Hg bonding, and that's due to the fact that Hg atoms do not share their valence electrons readily.
Mercury is poisonous and should be handled with care. However, unlike other liquids, it doesn't stick to or infiltrate solid surfaces unless they're made of metals. Therefore, mercury poisoning is unlikely to be caused by skin contact.
See another brain teaser just like this one...
Or, just get a random brain teaser
If you become a registered user you can vote on this brain teaser, keep track of
which ones you have seen, and even make your own.
Back to Top