Cryptic Nonagrams - CLanguage brain teasers are those that involve the English language. You need to think about and manipulate words and letters.
A nonagram is a 9-letter word made from three 3-letter words or abbreviations.
In this teaser, each sentence gives three clues, leading to the three short words (or abbreviations) that make the nonagram.
*Example* Worker on a curved path, with a little twitch.
*Hint* Polar (region)
*Answer* Antarctic - [Worker = ANT; Curved path = ARC; Twitch = TIC]
These nonagrams all begin with the letter "C".
1. The taxi took a section of the journey with a male sheep!
2. "Puss" joined the American Medical Association and took charge.
3. The short Commodore is with a guy who has an IBM operating system.
4. Swindle by a despicable man and a communist.
The HINT gives
- some suggestions to help you with cryptic clues
- a further clue for the complete nonagram
Hint* You can usually ignore words such as "with", "before", "on", and "join"; these are links between clues.
* "Little" or "short" may suggest an abbreviation.
* Watch out for possible acronyms.
CLUES FOR THE NONAGRAMS
1. Telegraph message
4. Saw eye to eye
Answer1. CABLEGRAM - Taxi = CAB; Section = LEG; Sheep = RAM
2. CATAMARAN - Puss = CAT; AMA (acronym); took charge = RAN
3. COMMANDOS - Commodore (abbrev) = COM; guy = MAN; IBM Operating System = DOS
4. CONCURRED - Swindle = CON; despicable man = CUR; communist = RED
See another brain teaser just like this one...
Or, just get a random brain teaser
If you become a registered user you can vote on this brain teaser, keep track of
which ones you have seen, and even make your own.
Back to Top