Compound CouplesLanguage brain teasers are those that involve the English language. You need to think about and manipulate words and letters.
Compound words are pairings of existing words; e.g. brainstorm. Each word affects the overall meaning.
Some word pairs can be compounded in two ways. Use the given clues to find these "compound couples".
** EXAMPLE **
short range firearm & the blast from a firearm 
= shotgun & gunshot
** CLUES **
1. pass & company merger 
2. escape & the start of a war 
3. delay & maintain 
4. shelf set & detective's diary 
** HINT **
You will find sentences in which the Compound Couples can be placed.
Hint1. The company managed to ____ its competitors' profits and had thoughts of a ____.
2. The famous ____ from Dartmoor Prison was just before the ____ of World War II.
3. In spite of the ____ in production, the manager promised to ____ high standards.
4. I keep my copy of "Sherlock's ____" at the top of my ____.
Answer1. overtake & takeover
2. breakout & outbreak
3. holdup & uphold
4. casebook & bookcase
See another brain teaser just like this one...
Or, just get a random brain teaser
If you become a registered user you can vote on this brain teaser, keep track of
which ones you have seen, and even make your own.
Back to Top