Tom Swifties ContinueLanguage brain teasers are those that involve the English language. You need to think about and manipulate words and letters.
A Tom Swifty is a play on words. Tom speaks, and the way he is said to speak is a pun. Both meanings of the pun could be true.
e.g. "I love hot dogs", Tom said frankly.
"Frank" describes how he spoke and relates to the hot dog! [Frankfurter!]
Choose one of the listed words or phrases to fill each gap.
** CLUES **
1. "I was adopted," said Tom _____.
2. "Pass the playing cards," said Tom _____.
3. "I know the square root of 64," said Tom ____.
4. "The prisoner escaped down a rope," said Tom ____.
5. "None of my teeth have had any decay yet," said Tom ____.
Choose one of the listed words to fill each gap.
** WORD LIST **
belatedly condescendingly congenially considerately gracefully ideally precariously suddenly transparently unwittingly
** BONUS **
Complete this one yourself and write your answer as a "Comment".
"This is tedious", said Tom _____.
Scroll down for explanations and some related trivia...
1. Trans = across; so from one set of parents to another
2. I deal (the cards)
3. Consider 8 (the square root of 64!)
4. A con (short for convict) descending
5. Pre = before; carious in an adjective describing decayed bones or teeth
Victor Appleton was the pen name used collectively by a number of different writers of the various adventures of Tom Swift, adventurer and inventor. In the books, almost all of Tom's remarks were written with an adverb or adverbial phrase. From this style, the term "Tom Swifty" has come to be used for this form of word play.
See another brain teaser just like this one...
Or, just get a random brain teaser
If you become a registered user you can vote on this brain teaser, keep track of
which ones you have seen, and even make your own.
Back to Top