Alternative Interpretations 2Language brain teasers are those that involve the English language. You need to think about and manipulate words and letters.
For each of the following, solve for the answer word. The first and last letters of each word are given and the number of letters in the word is also provided. For each, the phrase/sentence which follows is a clue which gives you an "alternative interpretation" of the word as opposed to the word's true meaning.
Example: b?????e (7 letters) - not a small aisle
Answer: beguile <== big aisle (not a small aisle)
If you need a hint, the Hint gives you an additional letter for answer words 2 through 6.
1) u??n (4 letters) - a lowly chess piece
2) c?????t (7 letters) - uneventful position or station
3) p????????d (10 letters) - infectious disease in the surrounding area
4) p????????e (10 letters) - crossed your line of sight
5) i?????e (7 letters) - Our camping adventure could be described as this.
6) a????e (6 letters) - anger of a snake
Hint1) (no hint)
2) The 4th letter is "p".
3) The 5th letter is "g".
4) The 4th letter is "t".
5) The 5th letter is "n".
6) The 4th letter is "i".
Answer1) upon <== a pawn (a lowly chess piece)
2) compost <== calm post (uneventful position or station)
3) playground <== plague round (infectious disease in the surrounding area)
4) pasteurize <== past your eyes (crossed your line of sight)
5) intense <== in tents (Our camping adventure could be described as this.)
6) aspire <== asp ire (anger of a snake)
See another brain teaser just like this one...
Or, just get a random brain teaser
If you become a registered user you can vote on this brain teaser, keep track of
which ones you have seen, and even make your own.
Back to Top