Play Ball!Logic Grid puzzles come with a handy interactive grid that will help you solve the puzzle based on the given clues.
In a Little League Baseball game between the Braves and the Yankees, there were only 5 kids who had RBIs (Runs Batted In); two of them were on the Braves and three of them were on the Yankees. Each person had a different number of at-bats, of hits, and of RBIs. The scorekeeper was sick, so he couldn't come to the game, and had his brother go instead. Unfortunately, his brother forgot to write down the stats. This is all that he remembers. Help the scorekeeper figure out who is on which team, and how many hits, at-bats, and RBIs they had.
Nicknames "Slammer," "The Rocket," "Flash," "The Hammer," and "Ace"
RBIs - 2, 3, 5, 6, 8
Hits - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
At-bats - 1, 3, 4, 5, 7
Team - 2 Braves, 3 Yankees
1. The Braves won.
2. The five kids are: "Slammer," the one with a 1.000 batting average, the one with 2 hits, the one with 7 at-bats, and the one with the least RBIs.
3. "Flash," who plays on the same team as his best friend, "Ace," had 3 plate appearances, 5 RBIs, and got out at least once.
4. "The Rocket" had either 1 or 2 hits.
5. The players that had 2 more RBIs than at-bats did not have 3 hits.
6. Only one player had one less RBI than hits.
7. "Flash" only had RBIs off hits.
8. "Ace" has half as many letters in his nickname as there are in the name of the team he plays for.
You will be able to use the hint to find some answers before you even look at the clues.
HintBatting Average is equal to hits/at bats.
Plate Appearances and at-bats are not the same thing. A plate appearance is any time the batter goes up to the plate. It is only an at-bat if they get a hit or get out (as opposed to a walk or a hit-by-pitch). You cannot have more hits than at-bats.
RBIs don't have to come off hits. If a player is walked or hit-by-pitch and a runner scores because of it, the batter gets an RBI. You can get more than one RBI on one hit, but only up to four.
To figure out who wins, just add up the RBIs for each team.
Answer"Slammer" had 6 RBIs, 4 hits, and 5 at-bats for the Yankees.
"The Rocket" had 3 RBIs, 1 hit, and 1 at-bat for the Yankees.
"Flash" had 5 RBIs, 2 hits, and 3 at-bats for the Braves.
"The Hammer" had 2 RBIs, 3 hits, and 4 at-bats for the Yankees.
"Ace" had 8 RBIs, 5 hits, and 7 at-bats for the Braves.
See another brain teaser just like this one...
Or, just get a random brain teaser
If you become a registered user you can vote on this brain teaser, keep track of
which ones you have seen, and even make your own.
Back to Top