Thanksgiving CalamityLogic Grid puzzles come with a handy interactive grid that will help you solve the puzzle based on the given clues.
It was an odd holiday, yessiree... The Sewtnof siblings planned a potluck Thanksgiving dinner at one of their houses, however, none could cook well. Each planned to make two items. Four of them had dramas causing them to be late. All in all, it was the start of a rough holiday and everyone was in a sour mood, but once they discovered what their meal would be, they giggled at life's irony and got over themselves.
Each ruined one of their recipes and successfully prepared one. Determine what the Sewtnofs finally ended up with for dinner, who made what, who ruined what, why each was late (or on time), and where each was in the age lineup.
Siblings: Johanna, Emily, Jacob, Ali, Rosie
Age range: Oldest, 24, 21, 19, 17
Recipes attempted: Turkey, Pumpkin Pie, Buns, Gravy,
Stuffing, Green Salad, Green Beans, Cranberry Sauce, Apple Pie, Mashed Potatoes
Calamities: Overslept, Ran out of gas/petrol, Had to run to store for one last ingredient, Argument with boyfriend
1. Johanna did not burn her buns because she didn't bake any. She did bake a pie, however.
2. Jacob turned off the oven and left his bird half cooked at home, hoping to be not too late. His other item required no heat to prepare, thankfully.
3. You might think the Sewtnof parents would stop having kids once they had a boy, but no, they went on to have one more child.
4. Being the host doesn't automatically ensure timeliness; also, the gardener was a very early riser, allowing her plenty of time to ruin one item, & successfully prepare another on time.
5. Sad she burnt her buns, Emily's sister was extra careful to make sure her cranberry sauce turned out okay.
6. The sister who didn't make stuffing hosted the dinner, because she's the only one with a big enough table. Johanna, her younger sister, was not the host.
7. What a day for Ali's little sister! Not only did her stuffing take forever to come out right, but she had to run to the store at the last minute to ensure her pie had fruit in it!
8. Rosie, who was not the youngest, was not the family gardener who grew main ingredients for both of her food attempts.
9. When the first arrival showed with pumpkin pie, the host was still in the shower because she had overslept.
10. The middle child was late because her boyfriend argued that he didn't feel like driving.
11. Jacob did not stop at the store; Ali didn't attempt to cook green beans, but the person who did, also ruined her gravy.
12. The person who attempted cranberry sauce did not grow the cranberries.
13. The gardener grows root vegetables and squash, but not fruit.
14. Emily is older and younger than at least one other sibling, and Ali is not the middle child.
15. The one who overslept is older than Emily, and the teenagers' names both start with the same letter.
16. The five are the person whose gravy was too salty to bring, Emily who did not have any arguments, Jacob, the host, and the person whose stuffing was delicious.
HintJacob is the only male. Don't assume that one food grid is all ruined items. Potatoes are root vegetables and pumpkins are squash.
AnswerThe strange Thanksgiving dinner consisted of: Stuffing, Green Beans, Cranberry Sauce, Pumpkin Pie, and Salad
Johanna made stuffing, ruined apple pie, store, 17
Emily made pumpkin pie, ruined potatoes, was on time because she's an early riser (gardener), 24
Jacob ruined turkey, made salad, ran out of gas/petrol, 19
Ali ruined buns, made cranberry sauce, overslept (host), oldest
Rosie ruined gravy, made green beans, argued with her boyfriend, 21
See another brain teaser just like this one...
Or, just get a random brain teaser
If you become a registered user you can vote on this brain teaser, keep track of
which ones you have seen, and even make your own.
Back to Top