Baggage MishapsLogic Grid puzzles come with a handy interactive grid that will help you solve the puzzle based on the given clues.
Savannah got distracted when her shuttle arrived at Earth Central Airport. Now she's at Lost & Found with four other travelers all waiting to retrieve one lost piece of luggage of a different color (black, blue, green, red or yellow.) While filling out their baggage retrieval paperwork, they discovered an amazing coincidence. Each person had the last name of one other person's nationality and another's destination country (America, England, France, Panama or Zambia). Nobody had the same last name, nationality or destination country of anyone else in the group. Each person is traveling from his or her country of origin to only one other country. Use the following clues to determine each traveler's first name, last name (L), nationality (N), destination country (D) and baggage color. Because this is Logic Land, the unlikelihood of the travelers actually sharing the same airport is not of any concern in solving this puzzle.
1. Each traveler's last name, nationality and destination country are three different names.
2. Ms. Panama is neither the Zambian citizen nor the one going to England; Carmelita wants her suitcase to stand out, so she is not the person with the black bag. (All five travelers are mentioned in this clue.)
3. The person bound for France, who asked Echo where she bought her fragrant cup of coffee, sat next to Mr. England.
4. Echo is not the French citizen that helped Pierre with his paperwork.
5. Of the person with the lovely yellow suitcase and Savannah, one is traveling to Zambia and the other is the American citizen.
6. Pierre's destination country is the nationality of the owner of the black bag; the destination country of the owner of the black bag is Pierre's nationality.
7. The person surnamed America is not going to France and the person traveling to America has either a blue or green bag.
8. Juan, who does not have yellow luggage, does not have England as his last name.
9. The five travelers are the American, Echo, the blue suitcase owner, the one traveling to Panama and Ms. France.
HintHint: We know that Echo is a woman from clue 3, so there are 3 women and 2 men. Pierre is Mr. England from clues 3 & 8. He must be Zambian since he cannot be any of the other people in clue 2. Since Pierre is Zambian, clue 6 tells us that the owner of the black luggage must be the one going to Zambia. In clue 5, Savannah must be the owner of the black bag since the person going to Zambia cannot have the yellow bag (clue 6), which makes the yellow bag's owner the American. Next look at clue 9 for information on the remaining two travelers.
See answer for complete step-by-step solution.
AnswerWe know that there are 3 women, Carmelita, Savannah, and Echo (clue 3), and 2 men, Pierre and Juan. We know that Pierre is surnamed England, since clue 3 tells us that the person surnamed England is male, and clue 8 tells us that Juan, the only other male is not Mr. England. In clue 2, Pierre is not Ms. Panama, the traveler to England (clue 1 tells us that Mr. England is not traveling to England), Carmelita, or the owner of the black baggage (clue 6); leaving only the Zambian. Since Pierre is from Zambia, clue 6 tells us that the owner of the black luggage must be the one heading to Zambia. In clue 5, the person traveling to Zambia (who we now know has black baggage) must be Savannah and the American citizen has the yellow luggage. Savannah must be Ms. France to fit clue 9 since she is not the American (the 3rd person we have identified), Echo, the owner of the blue bag (Savannah has the black bag), or the traveler bound for Panama (she is heading to Zambia). Savannah's nationality cannot be French or Zambian (clue 1), English (clues 1 and 6 - Pierre cannot be heading to England because of his last name), or America (since Savannah is not American). The only remaining country is Panama. So Savannah is Panamanian and clue 6 tells us that Pierre must be heading to Panama.
We now have 3 people, Pierre, Savannah, and the American with the yellow bag. According to clue 9, the 2 remaining people are the owner of the blue bag and Echo. Juan is not the owner of the yellow bag (clue 8) so he must have the blue bag, leaving only Carmelita to be the American. Since Echo is not French (clue 4), she must be English and Juan is French (the only remaining option). We know that the person going to France is neither Echo from clue 3 nor Juan because he is French (clue 1), so the only remaining option is that Carmelita is heading to France. Clue 2 tells us that Carmelita is not Ms. Panama, so she must be Echo. Carmelita cannot be surnamed America (clue 1) so this is Juan's last name, leaving only Zambia as Carmelita's surname. Clue 2 tells us that Ms. Panama cannot be the one traveling to England so that must be Juan's destination. Echo is traveling to America, the only remaining option. From clue 7, Echo must have the green bag, since Juan has the blue bag, leaving the red bag to belong to Pierre.
See another brain teaser just like this one...
Or, just get a random brain teaser
If you become a registered user you can vote on this brain teaser, keep track of
which ones you have seen, and even make your own.
Back to Top