Tom Swifties AgainLanguage brain teasers are those that involve the English language. You need to think about and manipulate words and letters.
A Tom Swifty is a play on words. Tom speaks, and the way he is said to speak is a pun - both meanings could be true.
e.g. "I love hot dogs", Tom said frankly. "Frank" describes how he spoke and relates to the hot dog! [Frankfurter!]
The Tom Swifty can also use a phrase or homophone.
e.g. "You didn't order enough carpet", said Tom with a cold stare.
"Cold stare" expresses his annoyance and suggests uncarpeted stairs!
Choose one of the listed words or phrases to fill each gap.
** CLUES **
1. "So what if I failed the multi-choice!" said Tom _____.
2. "I was here. I am still here, and here I will be!" said Tom _____.
3. "Some you lose", said Tom _____.
4. "So, you think you're a butcher!" said Tom _____.
5. "I'm unemployed right now", said Tom _____.
** WORD LIST **
fondly, a little testily, cuttingly, in fun, winsomely, dolefully, happily, intensely,
** CREATIVITY BONUS **
Think of a better Tom Swifty for one of the statements in the teaser, and maybe write it as a comment.
Answer1. A little testily
If you really need an explanation, scroll down...
Tom Swift was an adventure hero created by American writer Victor Appleton. In the books, almost all of Tom's remarks were written with an adverb or adverbial phrase. From this style, the term "Tom Swifty" has come to be used for this form of word play.
** EXPLANATIONS **
1. Testily means irritated - and it was a multi-choice test
2. Past, present, and future tenses
3. Winsome means attractive; some you win, some you lose
4. Tom's hurtful comment...butcher's knife
5. Unemployment benefit
See another brain teaser just like this one...
Or, just get a random brain teaser
If you become a registered user you can vote on this brain teaser, keep track of
which ones you have seen, and even make your own.
Back to Top