Add to Google delicious Add to del.icio.us

More ways to get Braingle...
rss

Braingle Time
1:47 pm

Public Forums >> General Discussion >>

Forum Rules View Watchlist Post Reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   ...   7      Next

Should there be a PM limit (to prevent spam)?

Yes, people should only be allowed to send 10 PMs per day.13
Yes, 20 PMs per day31
Yes, 30 PMs per day47 (your vote)
Yes, More than 3024
No, Everyone should be able to send an infinite amount of PMs81
 Total Votes:196
AuthorMessage
mocha613Aus

new Posted: 05:28PM Mar 23, 2009

iforgotbraingle wrote:
If there is a quota, perhaps allow unlimited to friends, people in one's talkbox, owners of boxes one is in, and people in a wtb/twg one is modding.

I also really like this idea.. even if just to the people who are mutual friends. That kinda implies that you are willing to accept PMs from that person, and if you don't want their PMs, unfriend them.

"Wir müssen wissen, und wir werden wissen." -David Hilbert
Back to Top View Profile     Send PM    
JakeAusmod

new Posted: 05:57PM Mar 23, 2009

Thats another good idea. Unrestricted PMs between friends, restricted to 20/day otherwise.

Have you visited Braingle lately?
Back to Top View Profile     Send PM     Visit Wiki
Life_Sucks*us

new Posted: 06:05PM Mar 23, 2009

^That sounds really good. :]

the air is full of dust
TRILLIONAIRE*us

new Posted: 07:27PM Mar 23, 2009

Finally, my outrageously long buddy list will come in handy!

|| http://tinyurl.com/GodricsHollow || Stalk me: http://twitter.com/Spain2009 || Please vote in the MUSIC QM election!
ShadowsAcamod

new Posted: 08:02PM Mar 23, 2009

I don't like the idea of a PM cap on new members. Within two months, some members are modding games, involved in several TBs, have countless friends (*cough cough* Trill *cough cough*) . . .

But the buddy list idea is good. Unlimited PMs to your mutual friends.
SEPTILLIONGOLDS*us

new Posted: 12:55AM Mar 24, 2009

I agree with that.

shutting up or down has the same meaning, why need the up and down? just keep it shut!
tedgerAus

new Posted: 08:35PM Mar 24, 2009

Shadows wrote:
I don't like the idea of a PM cap on new members. Within two months, some members are modding games, involved in several TBs, have countless friends (*cough cough* Trill *cough cough*) . . .

But if that is the case, they should have enough mutual friends that it won't affect them.

"Art is never finished, only abandoned." -Leonardo da Vinci
Trickster1992Aen

new Posted: 12:23AM Mar 25, 2009

Why does there need to be a PM cap at all?

If people would just use the whole "Only my friends can PM me" thing PROPERLY, there's really no need for a PM cap. Because why, in their right mind, would anybody add somebody that sends 50 PM's a day and/or tries to do chain-mail, to their friends list?

I'm not entirely against a "PM limit", but I also don't really see the point of it since there's already the feature to block people who aren't your friends from sending you anything.
(For clarification: There is a feature you can use to make it so that only people you have added to your friends list may PM you.)

Also, I don't know anybody that sends more than 30 PM's a day anyways. If that. Heck I really only know one person that sends 30 or so PM's, and that's only because I know how to manage an actual conversation with her. lol

There's something that's missing if we can't recognize that our own existence is the miracle before our eyes. --Michael Tait
SEPTILLIONGOLDS*us

new Posted: 02:47AM Mar 25, 2009

Oh so I see

shutting up or down has the same meaning, why need the up and down? just keep it shut!
bookworm91*

new Posted: 11:16AM Mar 25, 2009

Trickster1992 wrote:

If people would just use the whole "Only my friends can PM me" thing PROPERLY, there's really no need for a PM cap. Because why, in their right mind, would anybody add somebody that sends 50 PM's a day and/or tries to do chain-mail, to their friends list?

If you have a few conversations going with people, it's easy to rack up the PM's. I don't use the "only friends can PM me" because I only have a few people on my friends list, and the way I've made those friends was primarily through PM. If I only let friends PM me (and if they had only let friends PM them), then I wouldn't have any friends.

You can also set it so that only people with positive karma can PM you, but if everyone did that, how would newer members make friends? Granted, you can get the first green karma in a relatively short time, but if a new member doesn't chat or visit the forums (or who is a lurker - reading but never posting), then how would they connect with other members? I've started more than one friendship just from reading the forums, spotting a member who happens to have similar interests as mine, and striking up a conversation through PM.

A graduating PM cap with an 'unlimited-among-friends' would still allow new members to use the PM function fully while not limiting the members with excellent karma. The cap would ensure that spammers won't be able to abuse the PM feature. I think it's a great idea.
Life_Sucks*us

new Posted: 05:33PM Mar 25, 2009

Or we could just all get along.

the air is full of dust
iforgotbraingleAus

new Posted: 05:42PM Mar 25, 2009

That doesn't work on the Internetz. (granted, Braingle really does stay above most things. It doesn't feel anything like other sites)

Well then.
chili5

new Posted: 06:55PM Mar 25, 2009

I like the idea that people who are not friends have a limited amount of PM's they can send to each other. However friends can send as many as they like. Likewise, friends might have lots of conversations and go over a limit rather quickly.

How about new users have a limit to how many they can send. 10 for users less than a month, and it increases as the time on site increases?
iforgotbraingleAus

new Posted: 07:02PM Mar 25, 2009

Really, if you can send unlimited to
-friends
-mods
-people in things you mod
Then there's little reason for anyone to exceed 10.

If the limit is much higher, then the spammers will probably still spam because it'd be, in their eyes, worth the time to create tons of accounts if they get 20 each.

I'm still against the whole idea.

---This message was edited on 07:05PM Mar 25, 2009---

Well then.
danielzermanAau

new Posted: 12:10AM Mar 26, 2009

this is what the foes list is for. Jake, you could ban multiple accounts made with the same I.P. address too. Some people have lots of PM's to send in one day which would make a limit unfair!

If you are allergic to something then you shouldn't put it in your mouth, especially if it is cats!
sapphireduck

new Posted: 12:24AM Mar 26, 2009

The IP address thing wouldn't be a good idea, I think. My sister and I both have an account, and we use the same computer.
deepseaAus

new Posted: 10:45AM Mar 26, 2009

As a whole braingle is a well behaved site and the socially active should not be punished.

I could maybe get behind a PM limit on those with negitive Karma. They obviously have done something bad so it seems fair to try to prevent spam.

But either way all websites will have spammers. No matter what you do they will exist, if you give them 10 pms or 50 they will use them. If you take away thier PM's they will spam on the board. Or they will make friends and spam them, or mods. Jake, with all due respect, this is the internet. You can't stop annoying people.

^_^
TRILLIONAIRE*us

new Posted: 02:36PM Mar 26, 2009

Sort of an odd idea, but it may work...

What if new users without good karma had to answer a CAPTCHA 'question' accurately before sending a PM? If the spammer is a bot, it wouldn't be able to send the PMs. If the spammer is actually a person, they'd get annoyed by the time they send out 5 of the PMs. If it's a genuine new member, I don't think any new member without karma would need to send out a lot of PMs rapidly anyway.

|| http://tinyurl.com/GodricsHollow || Stalk me: http://twitter.com/Spain2009 || Please vote in the MUSIC QM election!
chili5

new Posted: 03:06PM Mar 26, 2009

No CAPTCHA questions are terribly annoying and they can be difficult for people that have trouble seeing.
TRILLIONAIRE*us

new Posted: 03:08PM Mar 26, 2009

I see what you mean. Like I said, I was just throwing out an idea. I realize that it's not the best idea.

---This message was edited on 03:08PM Mar 26, 2009---

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   ...   7      Next  

Public Forums >> General Discussion >>

! Access Restricted

You'll need to create an account and sign in before you can post messages.

Users in Chat : ismartguy 

Online Now: 12 users and 539 guests

Copyright © 1999-2014 | Updates | FAQ | RSS | Widgets | Links | Green | Subscribe | Contact | Privacy | Conditions | Advertise

Custom Search

Sign In A Create a free account