4:46 pm

Public Forums >> General Discussion >>

Forum Rules View Watchlist Post Reply

Skip to Page:  1   ...   4   5   6   7   8   ...   22      Next

What Made You Frown V

AuthorMessage
Elucidator92c

new Posted: 01:55AM Apr 19, 2011

People not standing up for what they believe in, because they're afraid of making "rude" posts. SPEAK OUT! I wouldn't encourage anyone to be hateful or judgemental, but if you oppose what somebody is doing, shouldn't you at least tell them? If your child was consistently writing "4 + 5 = 7", would you not correct them for fear of being unaccepted?

On a related note, but a different thing altogether:

As you all know way too well, I have a tendency to reach straight through the internet into your very soul and rip things out and show them to you. And you hate me for it, because you know I'm right. I had an epiphany yesterday. I sincerely apologize for abusing my unusual gift this way. I'm not sorry that you hate me, but rather sorry that I feel the incessant need to tell you all about the evil I see in you and cause you to despise yourselves. See, out of common sense and pure logic I assumed that by bringing your evils to your attention you might be able to work on them and get over them. I never meant it as a judgment but rather as like when your friend says, "Hey, you've got some ketchup on your face."
But human logic is a bunch of bull-stinky. I realized yesterday, for whatever reason, that if you show someone their faults, they can really only take it one of three ways.
One way is that they disagree with you and argue with you, and the more you argue, the more their faults grow stronger.
Second way is that they deny that what you say has any merit, and their faults grow stronger inside them.
Third way is that they agree with you, but they accept their faults and their faults grow stronger.

So what does one do if a friend has faults?!
One tries to focus on the GOOD parts of a human. Rather than trying to push them away from evil, which really only gives evil more attention, I should've been trying to push them towards good. If I point out all of HarryPutter's faults, he's just going to act like a little kid the entire rest of the time and insult or spite me at every turn and fall further into the darkness. But if I point out all of why Crazycriely is so awesome, she's going to be my friend, be mature, and climb further away from darkness because of kind words.

And for the record, I NEVER said I know everything. But I do learn way more, way faster (and that's not even according to me! someone else told me that!)

Hurtful words are like barbed whips, ripping flesh and inflicting wounds upon those they hit. But kind words are like the bullets out of Indiana Jones' gun. They instantly kill the one carelessly using the whips like a total idiot.
(Or the moral of that scene from Indiana Jones could really just be, "You don't mess with Harrison Ford when he has to poo")

Don't take this personally, but you're kind of wasting your time.
Back to Top View Profile     Send PM    
EliosAus

new Posted: 10:31AM Apr 19, 2011

Break-ups. Not so much the actual break, but the not knowing what happened. How about a little closure, eh? Even if it's nothing specific, can't you muster enough respect for me to at least say, "It happens" or something? I'll even settle for the ol' "It's not me, it's you."

At least I can be glad I didn't waste more time on this than I already have...

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." - Chesterton
Back to Top View Profile     Send PM     Visit Wiki
bradon182001*usmod

new Posted: 10:33AM Apr 19, 2011

Elios's pain.( It's never easy, but probably for the best.)
snowmonsterAusmod

new Posted: 11:04AM Apr 19, 2011

People going through sad times make me frown.

Take all sorrow out of life and you take away all richness, and depth, and tenderness. The capacity of sorrow belongs to our grandeur. It is the furnace that melts hearts together in love. In loving memory of my dear friend Guy - take care Goobs . .
wiser_now

new Posted: 12:54PM Apr 19, 2011

Plank-eye

I keep forgetting
NothingToLose*

new Posted: 06:55PM Apr 19, 2011

It didn't happen today, but it still makes me frown thinking about it.

Someone broke into my car over the weekend, and I was stuck for 3 days in a city where I don't live until my insurance company could send a technician to get it fixed. It appears as though the vandals broke a window and then the alarm blared until the battery was completely dead, resulting in a car that wouldn't start and was full of glass.

I like people sometimes. They're totally my favorites.

carpe diem quam nimium credula postero
LogicalRogerAus

new Posted: 05:27PM Apr 21, 2011

The seer role. The actual role itself and the groupthink it can generate. So cheap.

I think I'm going to retire from TWG until there's either an implementation allowing for the lack of a seer or my odds of being wolf go down a bit. If I was lucky enough to be human I'd probably just get eaten anyways (not that I'm good, just unlucky).

I kind of want to play, but not with these conditions, so meh. I can always fill up the time with needless ranting or, or homework or something like that. (Ick)

---This message was edited on 05:29PM Apr 21, 2011---
vlermaAus

Grayma V

new Posted: 05:57PM Apr 21, 2011

Welcome to the Jungle Roger. Sometimes a person just has to take a break from the games to enjoy people again. Even through we all know they are games after awhile one does develop a certain amount of pride in their skills displayed in the games.Some say it is an honor to show how well you are respected if you are eaten right away in a game, but that doesn't make your desire to play any less and after about so many games to being eaten right away the game just looses it's pizazz, so I have retired for a while from the games. Don't know how long I can stay away as they have been o habit forming, but you know how it goes.

I have two projects I am considering working on for Braingle. I am going to update the Writer's Block. I keep saying that and I keep planning, but I now have some things in the works that appear to be promising, so I just might get it done this time.

Secondly we do have a lot of people who enjoy writing on Baingle. I have all the ideas for a new game, but I really need some volunteers who would make good editors of grammar, spelling punctuation and finally content. So if you are interested in helping me do this, please PM me, vlerma, and subject matter should read Writer's Block. When I get the volunteers I need, then I will drop the other shoe about how this little game will work. Just a slight hint = Dual story writing with a twist. It will be something a bit different, but I really believe it can be very enjoyable. Hopefully I can set it up similar to 1 vs 100 in a talk box rather than in open forum. I haven't quite gotten that problem worked out yet. So. if you would like to volunteer please PM me.
Thanks.

The sound of the wild, but if there is no one there, does anyone hear their howls?
LogicalRogerAus

new Posted: 02:55PM Apr 23, 2011

Sorry, ranting. Don't worry though, this one I can speak about openly.

See I'm happy when something has to do with actually learning. You go out with a goal and come back with a smile from gaining knowledge. That's beautiful; I love that.

I'm frowning now because of A. My partially pessimistic nature and what I'd like to call bureaucratic 'learning'.

In real learning, you go out to try and understand something. In bureaucratic learning, you go out to try and look like you understand something. In truth, you do understand something, the way the education system is run and how to play it. But I think that goes against, or at the very least is not, what natural learning is about.

In real learning if there is a maximum set up, reaching it is good. In this twisted system, the maximum is but a false ceiling; the new ceiling is above those fortunate enough to know the old one was false. I'm sorry but a 4.5 should not exist on a 4.0 scale. It makes no sense.

Another point of irritation: helping people. Helping people is a wonderful thing, but it doesn't help prove that you've learned anything and therefore should not be involved at all in the question of who learned what. If I am studying for Algebra and get a 100% it is no worse simply because Fred accomplished the same whilst helping a woman cross the street. It's a commendable effort, but Fred learned no more than I. Congratulate him by giving him a badge for kindness, not by boosting his education qualifications. It makes no sense.

I still must thank my counselor who assured that I could get into UCLA, and perhaps, seeing as I how I'm on a special system, I might. But looking at all the needless hoops that people jump through to prove that they've learned over people who have just the same but who have gone through less hoops is saddening. People are not trying to learn for learning's sake; they are jumping through hoops and trying to assume the 'look' of a person who learns. It is depressing to know that something I love can be perverted so. People should just learn and love learning. Hoops should not be called into question. I understand that hoops must be set up to ensure things work out realistically, but by doing so they destroy the reason one learns. They make it into a sideshow and thereby make it a feat unattainable to some. Learning and education are not simply for the elite, they are for the masses and should be kept that way. It is extremely depressing to see it otherwise.

I'll speak to UCLA representatives about my chances. After all, I'm not some young heir who has been crafted and structured by wise philosopher-kings to become a university jester, but rather a newly learned-schmuck who's on a different track entirely. It's not the end of the world if I don't get in, obviously, but unless I fail to have learned enough, it only proves further how bent the system is.

The only good thing? I'll have saved money at least. And would, no matter the odds, have kept this fire of learning alive in this oafish, plucky soul. That's really all I can say for myself, but hopefully it's enough.
xxsoftballxx13xtus

new Posted: 03:04PM Apr 23, 2011

Yeah, I agree on the helping people point.

But, I frowned today because I didn't have the self-discipline to not daydream...

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."
snowmonsterAusmod

new Posted: 09:48AM Apr 24, 2011

Braingle is SO SLOW today . . .

Take all sorrow out of life and you take away all richness, and depth, and tenderness. The capacity of sorrow belongs to our grandeur. It is the furnace that melts hearts together in love. In loving memory of my dear friend Guy - take care Goobs . .
bradon182001*usmod

new Posted: 10:23AM Apr 24, 2011

Yes, Braingle is really having problems today.

It took me three different times to post Happy Birthday wishes to Vlerma! (Had to start over 3 times before I could get it posted.)
HarryPutter*ca

new Posted: 01:53PM Apr 24, 2011

Thought it was just me

Cloud nine gets all the publicity, but cloud eight actually is cheaper, less crowded, and has a better view.
Mathgeek007tca

Pi Guy

new Posted: 02:24PM Apr 24, 2011

Ditto.

Parents are supposed to "protect" their kids, but there's a real distinction between protection and unrealistically keeping children away from reality. - Life_Sucks --- One of my teasers was featured as the Teaser of the Day! :D Sept. 18 2011 :D YAY!
ICUB42*us

new Posted: 05:02PM Apr 26, 2011

Winter weather precipitation...

ICUB42: I as in me. C is to notice. U, not you, someone else. B for be. 4 is for fore. And 2 should be too. Yeah, that's what it means.
bradon182001*usmod

new Posted: 06:12PM Apr 26, 2011

SNOIW????? Tell me it isn't so!

Rain, rain, and more rain today. My back yard is now a swamp! That has everyone frowning.
vlermaAus

Grayma V

new Posted: 04:42AM Apr 28, 2011

Being so addicted to this computer that I fall asleep and then fall out of my chair and bonked my head. Not once, but I did it the next night too. Gonna have to get a laptop so I can take it to bed with me, but then I would just drop the laptop on the floor and break it. At least I bounced. LOL PS. Thanks Bobbi. You are right Braingle has been running just a bit slow lately.

---This message was edited on 04:44AM Apr 28, 2011---

The sound of the wild, but if there is no one there, does anyone hear their howls?
wiser_now

new Posted: 05:12PM Apr 28, 2011

Guy I'm playing online chess with called me a loser.

Yes, I did lose the game, but how about "good game" or "thanks for playing"? Geez.
tinypenguin

new Posted: 02:07PM Apr 29, 2011

Forgetting to bring lunch :p
Mathgeek007tca

Pi Guy

new Posted: 03:24PM Apr 29, 2011

Day 6 in the Ottawa rain...

And guess what? I'm going camping tonight.

Thank god I'm sleeping in a cabin and not in a leantoo.

*Praises god*

Parents are supposed to "protect" their kids, but there's a real distinction between protection and unrealistically keeping children away from reality. - Life_Sucks --- One of my teasers was featured as the Teaser of the Day! :D Sept. 18 2011 :D YAY!

Skip to Page:  1   ...   4   5   6   7   8   ...   22      Next  

Public Forums >> General Discussion >>

! Access Restricted

You'll need to create an account and sign in before you can post messages.

Users in Chat : None 

Online Now: 15 users and 610 guests

Copyright © 1999-2014 | Updates | FAQ | RSS | Widgets | Links | Green | Subscribe | Contact | Privacy | Conditions | Advertise

Custom Search

Sign In A Create a free account