10:34 am

Public Forums >> General Discussion >>

Forum Rules View Watchlist Post Reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next

Cool stuff you find on the WWW

AuthorMessage
koin_era345tus

new Posted: 03:59PM Nov 15, 2012

Ive been using codecademy off and on for a few weeks now. Its really cool.

Happy ever after in the marketplace, Desmond lets the children lend a hand. Molly stays at home and does her pretty face, and in the evening she's the singer with the band!
Back to Top View Profile     Send PM     Visit Wiki
babyjuice

new Posted: 04:35PM Nov 15, 2012

koin_era345 wrote:
Ive been using codecademy off and on for a few weeks now. Its really cool.

Me too

Except I'm stuck on some lesson... really annoyed...
JQPublic

new Posted: 02:39AM Nov 16, 2012

babyjuice wrote:
http://neave.com/strobe/

AWESOMENESS

Cool, and I don't feel dizzy at all!

HarryPutter wrote:
Resources for Students (of any age):

Wolfram Alpha - The perfect Knowledge search engine

WriteOrDie- Perfect for procrastinators. Start typing in the box. As long as you keep typing, you're fine, but once you stop typing, you have a grace period of a certain number of seconds and then there are consequences.

Citation and Bibliography tool - BibMe, easybib

Dynamic Periodic Table

Free Online Courses
Online videos/courses from MIT - I particularly found the Calculus lectures helpful

Learn to code and program - Codecademy, Programr, w3Schools

Thanks HP! I wanted a nice way to get started with JS, SQL and PHP. w3schools looks like a good way.

'An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself.' - Charles Dickens
HarryPutter*ca

new Posted: 05:21PM Nov 16, 2012

I'd actually suggest Codecademy for JS if you want to learn it quickly.

I found this website called millionshort it lets you search google without all the top results, so you get to see the lesser known side of the internet.

---This message was edited on 05:22PM Nov 16, 2012---

"Well, if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part to us, do they?" - George Carlin
lil09Aau

new Posted: 02:40AM Nov 17, 2012

Thanks Harry,

I find the links you post here very interesting and useful.

Beware the lollypop of mediocrity; one lick and you'll suck forever.
Back to Top View Profile     Send PM    
JQPublic

new Posted: 10:24PM Nov 17, 2012

HarryPutter wrote:
I'd actually suggest Codecademy for JS if you want to learn it quickly.

I actually prefer being thrown syntax and functions at me (which is what w3schools seems to do). Codecademy seems to assume that you have no previous programming knowledge, so I'd feel like I'm wasting some time by re-learning variables, data types, loops, selection statements, functions, classes, constructor functions, etc.

I found this website called millionshort it lets you search google without all the top results, so you get to see the lesser known side of the internet.

Nice! It realy offers a new perspective - I never look past the second page of the search results.

'An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself.' - Charles Dickens
HarryPutter*ca

new Posted: 04:26AM Dec 26, 2012

I know peeps are going to find themselves bored during the holidays, so here are some recommendation engines:

Taste kid (Movies, books, music)
Gnod (Movies, books, music)
Jinni (Movies)
What Should I Read Next (Books)
Which book (Book recommendations based on your mood)
Goodreads (Books)
Stereomood (Music based on your mood)
Musicovery (Music based on artists or mood)

There are many others, but these are just the ones I've used at some point in the past that don't require registration.

---This message was edited on 05:08AM Dec 26, 2012---

"Well, if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part to us, do they?" - George Carlin
Skybet*gb

new Posted: 03:05PM Jan 25, 2013

I'd be happy to help with any programming questions if you can't find any answers online.

I came across this video today and was amazed by the talent. I love canon in d and I think this is a great interpretation. Check it out!

Transformation of Pachelbel

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
koin_era345tus

new Posted: 03:53PM Jan 25, 2013

I actually do have a programming question. Its fairly beginner so I think you can help me out: What are returns in JavaScript? I read about it but I don't understand how they work. Thanks.

Happy ever after in the marketplace, Desmond lets the children lend a hand. Molly stays at home and does her pretty face, and in the evening she's the singer with the band!
Skybet*gb

new Posted: 04:15PM Jan 25, 2013

Ah see website design you have picked up on my greatest weakness! I work with software, games mostly, and don't work a lot with website design.

But basically, a return is used inside a function to "give out" a value to a variable. Variables that have been initialised can be altered within functions.

For example:

function myWorld()
{
var x=9;
var y=10;
return y*x;
}

This function, when called by another function, would return or "give" the value 90 and be stored within a variable inside the function that this function was called, such as the example below -

function anotherFunction()
{
var myValue=myWorld();
}

myValue would now store the value 90.

You can use return with strings and boolean values too (true or false).

Also return on its own with no value:
{
return;
}

will just exit the function with no value returned.

I hope this helped.

JQPublic

new Posted: 12:11AM Jan 26, 2013

Chiming in: When you call a function with a return value, you should treat it as an expression rather than a statement or the return value will be useless.

To use Skybet's example, if you wrote this:

myWorld(10);

It would do nothing as myWorld doesn't do anything except to return a value. However, if you changed it to this:

function myWorld()
{
document.writeln("Koin is awesome");
return 90;
}

It would still write out 'Koin is awesome', whether you treat myWorld as a statement or an expression.

Post from Skybet deleted on 12:49PM Feb 7, 2013.
Skybet*gb

new Posted: 12:56PM Feb 7, 2013

Found a pretty cool site where you can create a zombie version of yourself, it's fun! Especially if you're a fan of the Walking Dead series and comics.

Try it out here

This is my effort:

I decided to link the image because it's a bit gruesome. Click here if you want to see it

Now who looks the tastiest?

---This message was edited on 01:31PM Feb 7, 2013---

koin_era345tus

new Posted: 06:02PM Feb 11, 2013

Thanks Sky and JQ, I had actually forgot I had asked this question. Ill report back when I have a chance to try it out.

JQPublic

new Posted: 08:43AM Feb 13, 2013

Melody_Pond

new Posted: 04:14PM Feb 13, 2013

Ha that's cool. I didn't fall for it though.....

There is this cool websiter khanacademy.com that I use every once in a while
JQPublic

new Posted: 05:45PM Feb 13, 2013

Awesome site, melody! Thanks!

HarryPutter*ca

new Posted: 12:38AM Feb 26, 2013

That's a really cool site, Mel

Everyone, go to google and type "zerg rush". (no quotes) Awesomeness will ensue.

---This message was edited on 12:39AM Feb 26, 2013---

glowingredbobAgb

new Posted: 07:28AM Feb 27, 2013

Evil Overlord Test

Everyone should take this and post results. It is pretty long but it's freaking amazing.

NOTE: It is on a dating website, so if you are opposed to that kind of thing, I guess you'll have to miss out.

EDIT: Here is my result:

Your result for The Evil Overlord Test ...
Sauron

80% Evil, 83% Intelligence, 85% Common Sense

Annatar, The Black Hand, The Ring-maker, The Red Eye -- Sauron went by many names over the generations of his dark and twisted rule. For thousands of years, he terrified the inhabitants of the land. His knowledge was vast, his ability to control was unmatched. Originally the servant of a greater evil, he took command when his master was banished from the world, never to return. He had an intimate knowledge of craftworks and various magics, which he employed to great effect to build one of the greatest, darkest of lairs in a region so twisted and corrupt, life itself simply gave up upon entering. He also went on to create what may possibly be the smallest, simplest of super weapons known, that granted him near complete control over the lands. The one crucial mistake he made, however, was to bind his very existence to that super weapon, and when it was destroyed in the very fires that created it, Sauron found his essence shattered and destroyed.

Sauron is identified as being extremely evil, possessing incredibly high intelligence and great amounts of common sense. For all intents and purposes, Sauron is quite possibly the greatest of Overlords to have ever reigned.

---This message was edited on 07:54AM Feb 27, 2013---

Sarcastic is the one word that defines me.
CaramellAen

new Posted: 11:35AM Mar 17, 2013

you can see everything that goes on right. or like smell it or whatever. how does that even work. how do you use a computer and know whats going on it doesnt make sense my face doesnt make sense

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next  

Public Forums >> General Discussion >>

! Access Restricted

You'll need to create an account and sign in before you can post messages.

Users in Chat : dodger 

Online Now: 10 users and 632 guests

Copyright © 1999-2014 | Updates | FAQ | RSS | Widgets | Links | Green | Subscribe | Contact | Privacy | Conditions | Advertise

Custom Search

Sign In A Create a free account