Braingle Time
3:39 pm

Public Forums >> Ask a Question >>

Forum Rules View Watchlist

To QM or Editor: Question and comments on Vocab Builder

AuthorMessage
ObilioAus

new Posted: 05:54PM Dec 16, 2012

Hi, I've been working on the Vocab Builder, I've done 150 so far and have run into some problems not addressed in the "Problems with.." link. First, the comments - The punctuation in the answer selection box (ie. lack of commas and/or semi-colons) is really, really bad, and was at least partially responsible for one answer being counted wrong. This, of course, is not the end of the world, but it is irritating, and I know Braingle cares about these things. Also, the spelling of quite a few words are missing vowels. An example was the word veneer, one possible answer included "... smb or smth..." . You can see the problem. I clicked the link to report that one, or one in which the word "smth" was part of the correct answer, and the omission was not on that page, only on the previous one where you select the answer. If recording these mistakes falls under 'bad answer', then I think more people would do so, but there is no way of knowing that, or to add a comment to help explain your report. May I suggest adding a "punctuation, spelling, or clarity" option to the report list? I think it would be very beneficial to the site. My last comment demonstrates how frustrating this is, please bear with me. So far my record is: Words you know : 15, ...may know : 111, ...don't know 10. As you can see, I have a pretty good vocabulary. The word in question was 'countenance' . My own understanding of that word would be the verb, " to allow or tolerate" or the noun ," aspect or demeanor ". My choices included " the quality of being general " I assumed there may or may not have been a comma intended between 'being' and 'general'. The other possible choice was " to approve, favor, ...(can't remember), to aid; to abet" I chose the former as it was closer in my mind to "aspect", when the latter clearly indicated an 'agreement with' which the word itself does not... anyway, it was counted wrong, and, after checking the dictionary meanings to make sure , I did report the two meanings listed on Braingle as bad answers, as I truly believe the spirit of the word in one definition is very misleading (I know this wanders into the land of opinion, and I may be wrong, but I didn't have time to check three sources), and the other I didn't even find in the dictionary. The second meaning that was listed in the dictionary wasn't on the site at all. I really am trying to help, this is a fun site, one I would have steered my children toward had I known of it sooner. ( I still have told them). This leads me to my question - would you like my help fixing these specific problems? I'd be happy to help fix punctuation, spelling, typos, and double check meanings for accuracy and clarity if you want, then a master or editor could check my work. Please write me a short (or long) response, just so I know this was received. I searched the site for Vocab and Vocabulary Builder before I created a new topic. Thanks for your time, Obi.
Back to Top View Profile     Send PM    
froggyggAusmod

Magical Sorceress Frog

new Posted: 06:29PM Dec 18, 2012

Hello Obi. Unfortunately this is not really a question for an Editor or QM. The best place to post this type of question would be to Jake in the Bugs Forum here.

Thanks.

SMILE and people will wonder what you are up to!
Back to Top View Profile     Send PM     Visit Wiki
ObilioAus

new Posted: 09:38PM Dec 18, 2012

Froggy, Thanks for the really quick response, it was nice of you. I did as you advised. Happy Holidays
Back to Top View Profile     Send PM    
froggyggAusmod

Magical Sorceress Frog

new Posted: 05:35PM Dec 23, 2012

Glad to be of help. Happy Holidays to you as well Obi.

SMILE and people will wonder what you are up to!
Back to Top View Profile     Send PM     Visit Wiki

Public Forums >> Ask a Question >>

! Access Restricted

You'll need to create an account and sign in before you can post messages.

Online Now: 16 users and 610 guests

Copyright © 1999-2014 | Updates | FAQ | RSS | Widgets | Links | Green | Subscribe | Contact | Privacy | Conditions | Advertise

Custom Search

Sign In A Create a free account