Five cousins are celebrating New Year's Day. Using the following clues, determine each person's age, birth date, and birth time.
Names: Alvin, Donna, Jerry, Laura, Steve (Donna and Laura are girls)
Ages: 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
Months: February, May, June, August, October
Dates: 9th, 11th, 15th, 29th, 31st
Times: 6:00 AM, 9:00 AM, 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM, 7:00 PM
1) Two of the boys were born in a leap year.
2) Neither girl was born in the morning.
3) Both girls were born in the first half of the month.
4) One of the boys was born three hours later in the day than one of the girls.
5) No one celebrated a golden birthday last year, and no one will celebrate a golden birthday this year.
6) The five people are: Alvin, the person who is 32 years old, the person born in August, the person born on the 11th, and the person born at 9:00 AM.
7) The person born at 6:00 AM is older than the girl born on the 15th, who is older than the boy born in October.
8) Jerry was born earlier in the year than the person born on the 11th, who was born earlier in the year than the person who is 28 years old.
9) The person born in May was born earlier in the month than the person born at 7:00 PM, who was born earlier in the month than the person who is 30 years old.
10) The person born on the 29th was born earlier in the day than the person who is 31 years old, who was born earlier in the day than the person born in June.
11) Steve and Donna have the two closest birthdays.
Comments on this teaser
|Posted by jhosek||07/30/09|
|Very well constructed. It was a challenge but workable. Great job!! :D :wink:|
|Posted by GebbieRose||07/30/09|
|It was a workout for my feeble brain, but I loved it! :D|
|Posted by cunningrat||07/31/09|
|Steve and Donna have the two closest birthdays only if you ignore the year. If you take the year into account, it is Alvin and Donna.|
|Posted by grilled_cheese3||08/04/09|
|that was hard. my brain hurts now.LOL :lol:|
|Posted by lesliep72875||08/10/09|
|Wow, that was difficult. I have no idea how many times I tried to solve it, but I eventually did. Still not to sure how I did it. Nice job!|
|Posted by valencia||08/11/09|
|thats teaser really made me think...cool teaser though|
|Posted by mocha613||12/23/09|
|GREAT work. Thanks!|
|Posted by chriscat||10/23/10|
|A nice challenge -- had to restart a couple of times, due to some carelessness in filling in the grid.
But where does the "golden birthday" thing come from? I'm 62 years old and had never heard the term -- had to google to find out what it meant. Is this some invention of the gold cartel to sell more gold jewelry?|
|Posted by mom_rox||01/02/11|
|cnmne, another excellent puzzle! I had to sleep on this one to fill in those last squares the next morning. Great concept with the leap year scenario - made my brain work a little harder to incorporate that.
I concur with chriscat's commnet about the "golden birthday" definition. I had never heard of it either and had to look it up. (If you're able to edit the puzzle, please include the definition in the main challenge clues.)|
|Posted by mom_rox||01/02/11|
|Addressing cunningrat's comments about the birthday's near each other: I'll often hear people express, "Oh, we have the same birthday" when they are obviously different ages.|
|Posted by roseyb75||01/02/12|
|Enjoyed this one! :)|
|Posted by J-Five||03/30/12|
|It was a big pain
I had to "check" the answers,|
|Posted by zentraveler||09/05/12|
|good puzzle, thank you. I really enjoyed the leap year element.|
Most Popular | Hardest | Easiest
Privacy | Terms
Copyright © 2003