A triathlon consists of three events: swimming, cycling, and running. The contestants are: Adam, Bert, Carl, Doug, and Eric. From the following clues, you must determine: the order of finish in swimming, the order of finish in cycling, the order of finish in running, and the overall rankings.
Points are awarded for each event: 1st place earns 4 points, 2nd earns 3, 3rd earns 2, 4th earns 1, and 5th earns 0. Each contestant's three event scores are added together to obtain that person's total score. The total score determines the order of the overall rankings.
1) Adam did not finish 5th in any individual event.
2) Bert finished 2nd in only one individual event.
3) Carl finished one position better in swimming than in cycling.
4) Doug finished 4th in only one individual event.
5) Eric did not finish 3rd in any individual event.
6) No contestant who won an individual event had the best overall ranking.
7) The contestant who finished 3rd in cycling finished better in swimming than the contestant who finished 3rd in running.
8) The contestant who finished 4th in running finished better in cycling than the contestant who finished 4th in swimming.
9) The contestant who finished 5th in swimming finished better in running than the contestant who finished 5th in cycling.
10) Only one contestant finished each event in a different position, and that contestant finished 4th overall.
Hint:You must first determine the five unique point totals necessary to determine the overall standings.
Then you must determine what combination of individual finishes are necessary to achieve those overall point totals.
Comments on this teaser
Most Popular | Hardest | Easiest
Privacy | Terms
Copyright © 2003