Glue Factory Stakes
Five horses have just competed in the annual "Glue Factory Stakes". With the given clues, determine for each horse: its color, its number, its jockey, and where it finished.
Finish: Win, Place, Show, 4th, 5th
Horses: Ghoulish Pleasure, Infirm, Roughage, Seattle Slow, Secret Harriet
Colors: Black, Red, Yellow, Blue, White
Numbers: #18, #29, #37, #46, #50
Jockeys: Allen, Jerry, Luke, Nathan, Tim
1) The 5 horses are: Infirm, the horse ridden by Tim, the horse that wore black, #50, and the horse that Placed.
2) The 5 jockeys are: Allen, the one that rode Seattle Slow, the one that rode the horse that wore red, the one that rode #18, and the one that rode the horse that Showed.
3) Secret Harriet finished ahead of the horse that wore blue, which finished ahead of the horse ridden by Luke.
4) #50 finished ahead of the horse that wore white, but finished behind Roughage.
5) Jerry finished next to #37.
6) Allen finished next to #29.
7) The horse that wore blue finished two positions away from #50.
8) The horse that wore yellow finished two positions away from #46.
9) Luke finished at least two positions away from #46.
10) Nathan finished at least two positions away from #50.
11) Luke rode a horse that wore an even number.
12) Only one of the horses that wore a primary color also wore an even number.
Answer:Much of the grid can be filled using the normal process of elimination. The following explanation resolves one of the more difficult sections.
If #46 finished 5th, then the horse that wore yellow would have had to Show (clue 8), and Luke would have had to have ridden the horse that Showed (clues 3 and 9). This would mean that Luke rode the horse that wore yellow, which Showed. The horse that Showed could not wear #18 (clue 2) or #50 (clues 3, 4, and 7); Luke could not wear #27 or #39 (clue 11) or #46 (clue 9); therefore, Luke could not have ridden the horse that Showed. Thus, #46 could not have finished 5th, which means that #18 finished 5th.
Win: Secret Harriet, Black, #46, Allen
Place: Seattle Slow, Blue, #29, Nathan
Show: Roughage, Yellow, #37, Tim
4th: Ghoulish Pleasure, Red, #50, Jerry
5th: Infirm, White, #18, Luke
Comments on this teaser
Most Popular | Hardest | Easiest
Privacy | Terms
Copyright © 2003