You exercise your body to stay physically in shape, so why shouldn't you exercise your brain to stay mentally fit? With these daily exercises you will learn how to flex your mind, improve your creativity and boost your memory. As with any exercise, repetition is necessary for you to see improvement, so pick your favorite exercises from our daily suggestions and repeat them as desired. Try to do some mentalrobics every single day!
Whenever you need inspiration for something, dig through your box of clippings for ideas that you can apply to your current project. If you have the space, you could pin the clippings up on the wall instead of storing them in a box. This way, you can be reminded of an idea whenever you walk by the wall.
From time to time, go through your clippings and get rid of ideas that are out of date or no longer interest you.
This exercise will help. How many creative synonyms can you find for the following words? As you come up with each word, try to picture in your mind the small differences between the synonym and the original word.
Happy: Jolly (having a little more humor than happy), tickled pink (having a lot more humor than happy)... there are least 30 more synonyms for you to discover.
Red: Blood-red (darker red), magenta (a little purpler than red)...Try for 20 more similar colors.
Pick any word and repeat this exercise as many times as you wish.
1. Opening a can of soda
2. A jackhammer
3. A bee buzzing around you head
4. A harmonica
5. Your best friend's voice
How well did you do at reproducing these sounds in your head? With practice you'll get better at imagining sounds.
1. nietsniE treblA- .wen gnihtyna deirt reven ekatsim a edam reven ohw nosrep A
2. nosidE .A samohT- .noitaripsrep tnec rep enin-ytenin dna noitaripsni tnec rep eno si suineG
3. eraepsekahS mailliW- .loof a eb ot flesmih swonk nam esiw a tub ,esiw eb ot flesmih skniht loof A
4. setracseD eneR- .llew ti esu ot si gniht niam eht ;dnim doog a evah ot hguone ton si tI
5. ybsoC lliB- .ecivda eht deen taht seno diputs eht s'ti - yrassecen t'nia esiw eht ot drow A
- Memory Tests - Determine how good your memory is.
- Flash Cards - Create and use flash cards to learn new information.
- Vocab Builder - Build a better vocabulary with these words from the SAT and GRE standardized tests.