You exercise your body to stay physically in shape, so why shouldn't you exercise your brain to stay mentally fit? With these daily exercises you will learn how to flex your mind, improve your creativity and boost your memory. As with any exercise, repetition is necessary for you to see improvement, so pick your favorite exercises from our daily suggestions and repeat them as desired. Try to do some mentalrobics every single day!
The following example shows how you could use the peg system to remember the first 5 US states in order of population. The first word given is the peg word, followed by the state, then the substitute word that we will use to make our association. For example, to remember that California is number 1, you would make a visual association between a bun and the Hollywood sign.
1. Bun - California - Hollywood Sign
2. Shoe - Texas - Longhorn Cattle
3. Tree - New York - Big Apple
4. Door - Florida - Oranges
5. Hive - Illinois - Sears Tower
You could easily continue this list for all the states.
Loci Mnemonic System
Why Mnemonics Work
Practical Uses for Link and Story Systems
- Memory Tests - Determine how good your memory is.
- Flash Cards - Create and use flash cards to learn new information.
- Vocab Builder - Build a better vocabulary with these words from the SAT and GRE standardized tests.