You exercise your body to stay physically in shape, so why shouldn't you exercise your brain to stay mentally fit? With these daily exercises you will learn how to flex your mind, improve your creativity and boost your memory. As with any exercise, repetition is necessary for you to see improvement, so pick your favorite exercises from our daily suggestions and repeat them as desired. Try to do some mentalrobics every single day!
1. Free recall refers to the ability to remember items in any order. An example would be remembering your grocery list. As long as you can remember each item, you are successful.
2. Serial recall applies to remembering items in order. Examples would be memorizing a speech or remembering driving directions to someone's house. Not only do you need to remember each item, but the order matters too. Naturally, this is more difficult than free recall.
3. Paired associate recall defines the type of recall where you are given the first word and must remember the second. Learning foreign language vocabulary is a good example. The benefit of this type of recall is that it is aided. In other words, you are given a clue to jog your memory.
When you are trying to learn something, you should identify which type of recall you will be required to demonstrate. This should affect how you study the material.
See this book at Amazon.com
Translate these numbers into their equivalent phonetic words:
99 = puppy
8 = ?
92 = ?
334 = ?
70 = ?
73914 = ?
Now, translate the following words into their equivalent numbers:
Try = 14
Meadow = ?
Lodge = ?
Practice = ?
Elbow = ?
Chocolate = ?
(Answers: Fee, piano, memory, kiss, computer, 31, 56, 94710, 59, 6751)
One way to improve prospective memory is to link it to something that you cannot forget. For example, if you are having trouble remembering to mail your letters, put the letters under your keys. The next time you leave the house, you will be reminded of the mail.
Another way is visualize the intended action in a place where you will not forget it. For example, visualize your car turning into a giant mailbox. The next time you see your car, you will be reminded to mail your letters.
Sometimes you may also have trouble remembering routine events, such as taking your medicine. One way to help this is to work the event into your habitual daily routine. For example, start taking your pills before breakfast. You will never forget to eat breakfast, so if you get in the habit, you will no longer forget your medicine.
- Memory Tests - Determine how good your memory is.
- Flash Cards - Create and use flash cards to learn new information.
- Vocab Builder - Build a better vocabulary with these words from the SAT and GRE standardized tests.