Public Forums Talk Boxes Private Messages Live Chat Social

Amelia Earhart on History Channel

Posted: 09:26PM Jul 5, 2017
RGW4Ausmod

I am sort of an old war buff... and historian within my family. I grew up learning about the pioneers of the industries... and Amelia Earhart was one of those subjects I guess I never got enough of. First woman to try and fly around the world... with only a navigator to help. She disappeared over Howland Island in the Pacific Ocean during 1937... and what happened has been questioned for some 80 years now. In the past few years reports of her and her navigator Nolan dying on an island came to light.

On Sunday night the 9th, at 9 PM PST time on the History channel, they will explore a photograph that may show her plane in tow behind a ship, her sitting on a pier looking at it, at Nolan to one side. Was she captured by the Japanese and ???

I have already set my DVR just in case I forget... I encourage all to think about thinking about this. Of course I prefer recording this to eliminate the commercials, but even I am known to live through them if I enjoy something enough. I know many younger folks could care less... but I still am interested in the Civil War... the love of history has no time line for age... just the love of knowing things we could not change, but may be affected by. Amelia did more for women in the air than any other woman... I think her history means something.

"That's one of the remarkable things about life. It's never so bad that it can't get worse." Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes
Posted: 08:24PM Jul 10, 2017
RGW4Ausmod

Wow... did anyone watch this? What an eye opener.

"That's one of the remarkable things about life. It's never so bad that it can't get worse." Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes
Posted: 04:37PM Jul 11, 2017
vlermaAus
Grayma V

Yes, Randy, I did watch it and thoroughly enjoyed it, Not just what happened to her and her guy that was with her, but also explanation of what appears to be a real cover up even right down to my top interest = the killing of the Kennedys. I am not sure I would want to be in the guys shoes that blew this wide open. I was alive when Truman was President, granted not old enough to understand all the hullabaloo . but having marched in Eisenhower's inaugural parade, and always being proud that we had a general as president, now I am beginning to wonder if wee didn't all get the shaft! By the by, thanks for logging this, otherwise I might have missed it.

The sound of the wild, but if there is no one there, does anyone hear their howls?
Posted: 05:26PM Jul 11, 2017
RGW4Ausmod

I think what amazed me most was how much proof was actually out there of where she actually was, right down to a couple CB/radio operators who pin-pointed where she was.

I can understand the US not wanting to disclose the facts then because of what was happening in the world and the breaking of their code. However, that doesn't mean they had to ignore trying to get her back based on what others said. We were not at war with anyone in 37'... and it sure would have helped those involved now (granted most are dead now; but their families have to think about this). Fact remains, once the war was over, it was well known we knew the code. They said that in 44' the bodies may have been dug up... so where are those bodies now? That was when the government should have come out with the truth... oh yeah, politicians have to hide the truth.

We can never be great again, until we start to have politicians we can trust.

Posted: 02:36PM Jul 12, 2017
vlermaAus
Grayma V

So today on morning TV, Randy, they are saying that picture was a man, not Amelia, even after the picture had been verified by the one guy. Sadly we will probably never know for sure. I am immediately suspicious of our current politicians scraping the bottom of the barrel just to get some of the public eyes off of them. And I so agree with your closing line. I mean I come from a place where you don't have to lock your doors at night. In fact that statement was just said to me earlier today.

I had my eyes checked today and called the Senior Bus to take me home. It was right at noon and they were so busy that the Director was out driving their Tahoe to try to get people needing rides home. I told her I was in no hurry and could ride for a bit. So she picked up this guy and we chatted that he was born and raised here, moved away with his family while in the service - raised their family there and retired back where he felt safe - no drive by shootings, etc. "In fact, we don't even have to lock our doors at night. It is so nice to feel safe. "Welcome home, Sir!"

---This message was edited on 02:38PM Jul 12, 2017---

The sound of the wild, but if there is no one there, does anyone hear their howls?
Posted: 06:39PM Jul 12, 2017
RGW4Ausmod

yeah... I can not understand our government sometimes.

There was a couple times in the show where they put a picture of her coming out of a plane super-imposed over the picture on the dock... things lined up way too much. Sorry, that was her. All the reports were a woman who looked like a man. She did do that.

Did they say Noonan was not Noonan but just a close look alike? They super-imposed his known picture to the man on the dock and it lined up pretty close. Because if Noonan was there, Amelia had to be close by.

I won't start another discussion, but there was also a History channel show about the escape from Alcatraz. I loved it. It talked about the two brothers and it seems they may have lived out, or still living in Brazil. They did not go into Frank or where he went to. I really like these types of shows. I will not be able to watch Escape From Alcatraz again without putting my own end to the movie based on this show!

!
Access Restricted

You'll need to create an account and sign in before you can post messages.

Online Now
4 users and 705 guests

Enter the Live Chat Room
Get Your Free Braingle Account
  • Submit your own brain teasers
  • Vote on puzzles and track your favorites
  • Chat with other smart people
Copyright © 1999-2018 | FAQ | Links | Green | Subscribe | Contact | Privacy | Conditions | Advertise | Braingle Time: 3:53 pm
Sign In Create a Free Account