Public Forums Talk Boxes Private Messages Live Chat Social

Rhetorical question game

Posted: 07:48PM Nov 9, 2017
FatHeadAus

A "rhetorical question" is one that is not supposed to be answered, such as, "What did you expect?" or "Who cares!"

The rules of this game are, each poster must ask a rhetorical question and the next must pretend it's a serious question and answer it, and ask one of his/her own. Even better if you can connect the two. For example:

A: What's the point?
B: The point is to have fun. What could be so bad about having fun?
C: Fun is for people who don't know how to be serious. Can't people just grow up and learn to be serious?
Etc.

(Sorry if that's not a good idea for a game, but it sure sounded like one to me.)

Shogi - or Japanese chess - is better than regular chess. You should visit 81Dojo.com to play shogi.
Posted: 11:55PM Dec 15, 2017
Hydra1234Ait

Being serious often stifles creativity, so people actively avoid maturing and being serious. Besides, what has being serious done for people?

All fields of science are just applied physics.
Posted: 12:17PM Dec 16, 2017
FatHeadAus

It allows people to focus on what's important in life. Is that such a bad thing?

Shogi - or Japanese chess - is better than regular chess. You should visit 81Dojo.com to play shogi.
Posted: 10:17AM Dec 18, 2017
Hydra1234Ait

Most people think that material gain for themselves is what's important in life. This leads to the Tragedy of the Commons. Can't they see the greater good instead just their own short-term benefits?

Posted: 12:49AM Dec 19, 2017
FatHeadAus

To some people, "what's important in life" is their own happiness, and to heck with anyone else. Can't they be left alone? Isn't there enough to go around in life?

Posted: 10:02AM Dec 19, 2017
Hydra1234Ait

For some people, there is an overabundance. For others, there is barely enough to survive on. How did we come to such an unbalanced society?

Posted: 05:50PM Dec 19, 2017
FatHeadAus

It was inevitable with freedom. You wouldn't want people's freedom gone, would you?

Posted: 09:48PM Dec 19, 2017
Hydra1234Ait

I would. After all, free will led to the creation of sin in this world. Isn't freedom a small price to pay for an equal world without sin?
This post does not state the poster's actual political or philosophical views. This is just a silly answer to a fun game.

---This message was edited on 09:49PM Dec 19, 2017---

Posted: 10:35AM Dec 20, 2017
FatHeadAus

I would rather be free to make my own decisions, and capable of achieving great things, than to be equal. Patrick Henry once said, "Give me liberty, or give me death." Was he wrong?

Posted: 11:14AM Dec 20, 2017
Hydra1234Ait

This is turning into the debate forum
The quotation cannot be "right" or "wrong" because it is an opinion. Aren't opinions just the views of someone, not a fact or truth?

Posted: 09:17AM Dec 21, 2017
FatHeadAus

Yes they are, but you're allowed opinions, aren't you?
Hydra1234 wrote:
This is turning into the debate forum
Is that bad?

Posted: 11:03AM Dec 21, 2017
Hydra1234Ait

Yes, but you cannot use someone's opinion to support your own argument. Wouldn't that be like saying pizza is better than hamburgers just because Bill Gates said so?

Posted: 03:58PM Dec 21, 2017
FatHeadAus

Who the heck cares about Bill Gates?

Posted: 07:33PM Dec 21, 2017
Hydra1234Ait

A lot of people. Why wouldn't they?

Posted: 07:37AM Dec 22, 2017
FatHeadAus

Because they don't see how he's relevant. Just how can a computer nerd benefit someone who may not care about computers?

Posted: 06:11PM Dec 22, 2017
Hydra1234Ait

Ever heard of a nifty thing called the World Wide Web developed by a computer nerd? Or hordes of devices used by practically everybody that were developed by computer nerds? Or maybe a certain website that your are currently on?

---This message was edited on 06:20PM Dec 22, 2017---

Posted: 02:08PM Dec 27, 2017
FatHeadAus

Certainly. But there's more to life than electronics - or am I mistaken?

Posted: 04:06PM Dec 28, 2017
Hydra1234Ait

For some people, electronics are their life. Don't we pity them?

Posted: 01:49PM Jan 1, 2018
FatHeadAus

I actually don't know the answer to that. Do I look like some sort of genius?

Posted: 08:03PM Jan 2, 2018
Hydra1234Ait

Yes. What kind of dumb person plays Nethack?

!
Access Restricted

You'll need to create an account and sign in before you can post messages.

Braingle Chat
Online Now
3 users and 547 guests

Enter the Live Chat Room
Get Your Free Braingle Account
  • Submit your own brain teasers
  • Vote on puzzles and track your favorites
  • Chat with other smart people
Copyright © 1999-2018 | FAQ | Links | Green | Subscribe | Contact | Privacy | Conditions | Advertise | Braingle Time: 4:42 am
Sign In Create a Free Account