Public Forums >> General Discussion >>

Forum Rules View Watchlist

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

Vegetarians?!?! :D

AuthorMessage
charlottes-oddAen

Alone bad... Braingle GOOD!

new Posted: 08:25PM Jul 15, 2012

Hey i was just wondering if there are any other veggies on Braingle ive been veggie for a couple of years now and i became veggie after seeing a video when i was still in school of a slaughter house and it was disgusting im a huge animal lover so i just couldnt eat meat anymore Luckily i prefer veggie food over meat anyday i personally think it tastes a lot better

So if youre a veggie come and say why you became veggie and how its going even if youre not veggie feel free to join in the conversation anyway, have you tried veggie and if so what did you think? And dont worry im not the sort to force people to become veggie its a personal choice and my mates, family and my ex boyfriends all ate meat so i obviously dont mind what your views are on veggie food and meat

Heartbreak is where creativity is born
Back to Top View Profile     Send PM    
Ihmisen*

new Posted: 08:36PM Jul 15, 2012

Tried. Wanted bacon.
jaycr*us

new Posted: 09:33PM Jul 15, 2012

Bacon is pretty powerful stuff.

It's not what you know, it's what people think you know.
charlottes-oddAen

new Posted: 10:40PM Jul 15, 2012

Haha my mate was like that she wanted to be veggie but then said "i can NOT give up the beauty of chicken " i found it quite easy giving up meat

and i really need to go to bed its 4:30am

RGW4Ausmod

new Posted: 01:10AM Jul 16, 2012

I have always been a meat and potato person (almost all meat, but cow meat preferred). I guess the whole veggie experience has to be personal, and I have no ill thoughts towards anyone who had decided to go this route. My daughter in law will not eat anything from a pig... but she is okay with all other meat. Do I understand? No, but I accept her wishes and we actually will prepare her special meals if we are having something like a Ham dinner. She is fine with Chicken, beef, and... just no pig.

I can understand people who think it is cruel to kill animals for their meat, but I see it differently, and short of starting a debate about how it is different, let me state that it is my belief and not wanting to sound cruel and insensitive, it is something I doubt I will ever change my view on. I have seen some cruel slaughter house techniques, but also have seen the way other places have taken on this task. Temple Grandin worked on changing the way some slaughter houses lead the animals into the final stages... and she had some great thoughts on how to deal with the killing of animals, which became widely accepted. (she has autism, which, according to the movie about her, probably helped her put 2 and 2 together). Bottom line, she even said she was not against the killing of animals for being used as a food source, just not the way they were killed.

I actually do not mind eating a veggie type meal, but you can have tofu...which has no taste, in my humble opinion. Honestly, not sure how many meals are left without something like this. Along this same line, I don't like too many fish meals either. Now, if I do not misunderstand this, fish falls into the same line as other meat, and also something not on a veggies meal list, or is it okay as it comes from a different live animal that was killed by just cutting off its head while it was gasping for air?

Maybe a little sarcasm there, but I have heard veggies say fish is not included on their list of no meat, because it is not herded into a slaughter house effect? I ask, because I truly would like to understand what makes someone become a veggie and where their limits are? And thanks for the chance to ask this question! I really would like to know and understand.

---This message was edited on 01:20AM Jul 16, 2012---

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. -Albert Einstein-
Back to Top View Profile     Send PM     Visit Wiki
charlottes-oddAen

new Posted: 11:36AM Jul 16, 2012

Haha no problem it really depends on the person really and their reasons to not eat meat. In some religions they cant eat a certain animal, since they believe the animal to be sacred. Because other animals arent sacred they eat other meats instead.

Some people dont eat meat because they had a badly cooked bit of meat in the past and it put them off. My mate said his sister stopped eating meat because she had a bad bit of meat, im not sure if she eats fish though since ive never met her.

Sometimes its for health reasons. Fish is very healthy, so if someones on a diet they may cut down on meat (which can be unhealty if eaten too much) and add more fish to their diet. My dad, for example, has diabetes so he has to watch what he eats and the nurse he saw about his diet said that he should eat more fish because of the nutricious (i definately havent spelt that right sorry) benefits of it. Im sure theres more health reasons for eating fish and less/no meat, but im not sure what they are.

People who eat fish but no meat are called pestcetarians. Some people dont want to eat mammals or birds, like chicken or cows, but since fish are neither of these they feel they can eat fish. Fish also feel no pain, which is why they are gutted alive, and have no feelings. The only reason the swim away from predators is because the can sense the change in the waters current. So thats another rwason why people eat fish and not meat.

Personally i dont eat fish either. I became veggie because i didnt want to eat a dead animal, and fish are still animals regardless of where theyre from. Also i hate the taste of fish, so even if i wanted to be pestcetaria, i still wouldnt want to eat fish. I just cant deal with the taste i personally think fish tastes revolting.

So theres many reasons why people eat fish and not meat, religion, health, bad meat experince, taste, if the animals a mammal or not. So i hope ive answered a few questions for you iif theres anything else youd like to know then just ask

RGW4Ausmod

new Posted: 02:07PM Jul 16, 2012

You did very good, thank you.

charlottes-oddAen

new Posted: 07:37PM Jul 16, 2012

No problem i love your avater by the way the the dog's so cute

RGW4Ausmod

new Posted: 10:37PM Jul 16, 2012

Thanks... but for the record, its not my dog or any I know. I just saw it and loved it.

JQPublic

new Posted: 12:18AM Jul 17, 2012

charlottes-odd wrote:
Hey i was just wondering if there are any other veggies on Braingle ive been veggie for a couple of years now and i became veggie after seeing a video when i was still in school of a slaughter house and it was disgusting im a huge animal lover so i just couldnt eat meat anymore Luckily i prefer veggie food over meat anyday i personally think it tastes a lot better

So if youre a veggie come and say why you became veggie and how its going even if youre not veggie feel free to join in the conversation anyway, have you tried veggie and if so what did you think? And dont worry im not the sort to force people to become veggie its a personal choice and my mates, family and my ex boyfriends all ate meat so i obviously dont mind what your views are on veggie food and meat

I am too

'An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself.' - Charles Dickens
charlottes-oddAen

new Posted: 01:23PM Jul 17, 2012

Yay! Im not alone haha how long have you been veggie for?
And RGW4 its such a cute dog i think ive fallen in love with it too

JQPublic

new Posted: 03:33AM Jul 18, 2012

charlottes-odd wrote:
Yay! Im not alone haha how long have you been veggie for?

As long as I remember

'An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself.' - Charles Dickens
snappytom*

new Posted: 06:04AM Jul 21, 2012

I eat meat.
I eat fruit and vegetables.

I would not eat a chicken which I had in a chook pen. Or a rabbit I hand reared. Or a calf I hand reared.
I have seen animals slaughtered. I am Ok with that as long as they weren't mine.
I figure we have huge populations which need feeding.
Now we have industries reliant on selling chickens, beef, pork etc for slaughter. So if we stopped those industries,
what would those people do for an income?

I think it is that people have created a huge industry built on farming, producing cattle... you can't just stop it.

Any slaughtering should be done humanely.

Snappy Snappy Snap..Snap Snap Snap Snap!
JQPublic

new Posted: 06:56PM Jul 22, 2012

snappytom wrote:
I figure we have huge populations which need feeding.

The problem is that too much of our agricultural produce is going to pigs and cows, and that's what causing people to have nothing to eat. If everyone in the world stops consuming meat, then there would be enough food for everyone (given that the developed countries are benevolent enough to let the third world countries have enough to eat, anyway).

snappytom wrote:
Now we have industries reliant on selling chickens, beef, pork etc for slaughter. So if we stopped those industries,
what would those people do for an income?

I don't think American multinational lumbering corporations should be allowed to log just because there's an industry reliant on logging.

Ihmisen*

new Posted: 09:31PM Jul 22, 2012

The problem is that too much of our agricultural produce is going to pigs and cows, and that's what causing people to have nothing to eat. If everyone in the world stops consuming meat, then there would be enough food for everyone (given that the developed countries are benevolent enough to let the third world countries have enough to eat, anyway).

There's already government measures in place having farmers grow less food on purpose. Eliminating meat won't solve the problem. Having such a high supply would have terrible economic impact; the economic system surrounding food needs to change greatly before hunger is solved.
snappytom*

new Posted: 09:56PM Jul 22, 2012

We have too many people to feed. That is the problem.
It is not WHAT people eat.
It is that we have more people than food.

Snappy Snappy Snap..Snap Snap Snap Snap!
JQPublic

new Posted: 02:00AM Jul 23, 2012

Ihmisen wrote:
There's already government measures in place having farmers grow less food on purpose. Eliminating meat won't solve the problem. Having such a high supply would have terrible economic impact; the economic system surrounding food needs to change greatly before hunger is solved.

The US are having too many crops because African farmers can't farm.

LogicalRogerAus

new Posted: 03:41PM Jul 23, 2012

If everyone in the world stops consuming meat, then there would be enough food for everyone (given that the developed countries are benevolent enough to let the third world countries have enough to eat, anyway).
 I think that the latter part is the main problem. I don't have any statistics for it, but I have often heard that the amount of food produced on Earth would be (currently) at least enough to feed everyone. Are there any statistics that show that the amount fed to animals is such a detriment to the total food available?

Besides, livestock have historically been helpful for food production. When people lived in a land lacking in fruits and vegetables, only having grasslands that their stomachs could not digest, they got domesticated animals, feeding them the grass they could not digest to produce meat and dairy products. If modern society could try to revert back to a method that didn't use edible food for other animals, instead using grasses, then surely meat would still be a viable option. [This might be unlikely, but so is getting everyone to stop eating meat.]

If people want to be vegetarians, that's cool. [I do kind of miss the point when people refuse to eat any animal produce, however.] But it isn't the way for me or many out there. Differences are different and it's good we have some. I'm sure it can loads off the conscience though, ha.
JQPublic

new Posted: 08:41PM Jul 23, 2012

LogicalRoger wrote:
Besides, livestock have historically been helpful for food production. When people lived in a land lacking in fruits and vegetables, only having grasslands that their stomachs could not digest, they got domesticated animals, feeding them the grass they could not digest to produce meat and dairy products. If modern society could try to revert back to a method that didn't use edible food for other animals, instead using grasses, then surely meat would still be a viable option. [This might be unlikely, but so is getting everyone to stop eating meat.]

That would be a giant improvement over what they feed those animals now.

legotboytus

new Posted: 08:12PM Sep 12, 2012

Don't call me a hater, but if god didn't want us to eat animals, then why'd he make them out of meat.

I've always been a meat eater, I just think it's my right to eat meat Just sayin. I love my meat

Knock Knock. Who's there? Cabbage. Cabbage who? You lost the game.

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next  

Public Forums >> General Discussion >>

! Access Restricted

You'll need to create an account and sign in before you can post messages.

Users in Chat : sciencesteven 

Online Now: 5 users and 357 guests

Copyright © 1999-2014 | Updates | FAQ | RSS | Widgets | Links | Green | Subscribe | Contact | Privacy | Conditions | Advertise

Custom Search

Sign In A Create a free account