You exercise your body to stay physically in shape, so why shouldn't you exercise your brain to stay mentally fit? With these daily exercises you will learn how to flex your mind, improve your creativity and boost your memory. As with any exercise, repetition is necessary for you to see improvement, so pick your favorite exercises from our daily suggestions and repeat them as desired. Try to do some mentalrobics every single day!
People tend to quickly classify a situation, which causes us to think and respond to it in predictable ways. A creative thinker will think about situations from different angles. Try this exercise to think of these situations from the opposite point of view.
1. You favorite coffee mug just broke. List five good things about that.
2. You have just won big on a slot machine in Vegas. List five reasons why this is bad.
3. Your flight home for the holidays was just canceled. List five reasons why you should be glad.
4. Your son just got straight As on his report card. List five reasons why you should be upset.
Close your eyes and try to recreate the following smells. This exercise helps improve your ability to form concrete impressions from memory.
1. A ripe orange
2. Hot chocolate
3. A rose
4. A skunk
5. Cigar smoke
How well did you do at recreating the smells?
This exercise will test your ability to recall and recreate sounds in your mind. This stretches the part of the brain where audio is stored. Close your eyes and try to hear the following sounds:
1. The theme song for your favorite TV show.
2. A waterfall.
3. A big dog barking. A little dog barking.
4. A racecar starting and screeching away.
5. Your father's voice.
How well did you do at reproducing those sounds in your head? With practice, you'll get better at imagining sounds.
If you like this exercise, try Mental Audio I.
This little exercise will help you unleash your creativity. Pretend that you are in charge of coming up with a new superhero for a comic book. Take 5 minutes and come up with as many unique creative names as you can for this superhero. What is his or her super power?
How many did you get?
0-5 You need to practice.
5-10 Pretty good. Next time try for double.
11-20 Good job!
20+ You have an excellent imagination.
You can repeat this exercise as many times as you want with different products (try our Chocolate Cereal exercise). The more you practice the better you'll get.
These number exercises will help improve your concentration and mental endurance.
1. Recite all the numbers between 1 and 100 that contain the digit 3 (3, 13, 23...).
2. Count down from 200 by 7s (200, 193, 186...).
3. Recite the numbers by alternatly counting up by 2s and by 3s (2-3, 4-6, 6-9, 8-12...).
4. Try reciting a number series while writing down a different series. Pick any number series you want (up by 2s, down by 7s, every number containing 4s, etc.).
Feel free to modify these exercises and practice them to increase your ability.