EpitaphsLanguage brain teasers are those that involve the English language. You need to think about and manipulate words and letters.
Below are four epitaphs (writing on gravestones). From the writings, can you tell the occupation of each person?
1. Here lies Mortimer Bibbs.
He took part of ours and gave it to big brother, but he always had good form.
2. Here lies Dirk McDuff, who toppled giants with weapons of steel. If only he'd heard his partner's shout before the giants found their revenge.
3. Here lies Suzy Smelt. She constructed many a bomb but mostly brought smiles to our faces.
4. Here lies Ethel Grant. She spent her whole life fighting with what she will now become.
Answer1. Mortimer was a tax man.
2. Dirk was a lumberjack (and died because he didn't hear his partner yell "Timber!").
3. Suzy was a comedienne.
4. Ethel was a maid, always fighting dust (referring to "ashes to ashes and dust to dust").
See another brain teaser just like this one...
Or, just get a random brain teaser
If you become a registered user you can vote on this brain teaser, keep track of
which ones you have seen, and even make your own.
Back to Top