Published PoetryLogic Grid puzzles come with a handy interactive grid that will help you solve the puzzle based on the given clues.
Diana has been writing poetry for many years and is excited that her first published book of poems will be coming out next year. Her publisher has asked her to write introductions for her poems. From the information given below, can you determine the year each poem was written (1996, 1999, 2001, 2004, or 2009), the occasion or person it was written for, and the style of poetry used (haiku, ode, sonnet, elegy, or free verse)?
1. "The Tree" was either the earliest poem written or the most recent. The wedding poem was either an ode or a free verse poem. "Dancer" is a haiku but was not written for the contest that took place in the 1990s.
2. "Summer Harvest" was written for a family member. "Queen Anne" was inspired by a television show about British royalty and was not written in free verse.
3. The five poems, in no particular order, are: "Confidential", the free verse poem written in 1996, the sonnet, the poem written for her sister, and the poem written for her mother.
4. The poem written for a friend's wedding was written before the sonnet but three years after the haiku.
5. The poem written in 1999 was written for her mother's funeral. The ode was not written for her sister nor was it inspired by the television show.
HintAn elegy is a poem written about someone who has died.
Answer"The Tree" was written in 1996 for a contest and is a free verse poem.
"Summer Harvest" was written in 1999 for her mother's funeral and is an elegy.
"Dancer" was written in 2001 for her sister and is a haiku.
"Confidential" was written in 2004 for a friend's wedding and is an ode.
"Queen Anne" was written in 2009 after watching a television show and is a sonnet.
See another brain teaser just like this one...
Or, just get a random brain teaser
If you become a registered user you can vote on this brain teaser, keep track of
which ones you have seen, and even make your own.
Back to Top