Tom Swifties Are BackLanguage brain teasers are those that involve the English language. You need to think about and manipulate words and letters.
A Tom Swifty is a play on words. Tom speaks, and the way he is said to speak is a meaningful pun.
e.g. "I love hot dogs", Tom said frankly.
The "frank" describes how he spoke and relates to the hot dog! [Frankfurter!]
Choose one of the listed words or phrases to fill each gap.
1. "I'm back! Did you remember my name?" asked Tom _____.
2. "I'm glad I'm not one of those native labourers," said Tom _____.
3. "For what we are about to receive, Lord make us truly thankful," said Tom _____.
4. "I punched him in the stomach three times," said Tom _____.
5. "I'm still waiting for my promotion," Tom admitted _____.
** WORD LIST **
coolly, flippantly, gracefully, hoarsely, impartially, mysteriously, openly, privately, swiftly, triumphantly
If you think you have a better word to use in any of the above sentences, please write it as a comment for us all to enjoy...
...and if you really need an explanation, scroll down...
1. Tom's name (almost!)
2. Native labourers of India and China are sometimes called coolies.
3. These words are traditionally spoken as a short prayer before meals (grace).
4. Tri-UMPH-antly suggests three (tri-) punches!!
5. Tom is still a Private - a soldier of the lowest rank.
Tom Swift was an adventure hero created by American writer Victor Appleton. In the books, almost all of Tom's remarks were written with an adverb or adverbial phrase. From this style, the term "Tom Swifty" has come to be used for this form of word play.
See another brain teaser just like this one...
Or, just get a random brain teaser
If you become a registered user you can vote on this brain teaser, keep track of
which ones you have seen, and even make your own.
Back to Top