Logic Grid puzzles come with a handy interactive grid that will help you solve the puzzle based on the given clues.
Two girls and two boys - Sarah, Kate, Connor, and Jared - were playing the game Minecraft one day. They each had a different username, build, and favorite block. Using the clues, can you figure out which is which?
Names: Sarah, Kate, Jared, Connor
Builds: Castle, Mansion, Skyscraper, Statue
Usernames: puppy23, DragonLord, Blue_Pencil, jtepic
Favorite Blocks: Emerald, Cobblestone, Sponge, Redstone
1. The four people are: Blue_Pencil, the one who likes emerald, the one who built the skyscraper, and Jared.
2. Neither of the boys like puppies, so they didn't choose their username after them.
3. Connor's favorite block is almost electric - it can power machines and prime TNT.
4. Jared is into medieval builds, and so made his build in that style.
5. puppy23 was very proud of the "skin" - or avatar - she'd made, so she built it in huge scale so everyone could see it.
6. Even though Sarah offered to help, DragonLord built his skyscraper all by himself. He used redstone for the lights and all the mechanics - his favorite block.
7. The girl who liked cobblestone wanted to make a big build, like the others, but she also built something she could live in. She also made her friend, puppy23, her own room.
8. Sarah thought emerald was a way overused block, and much preferred her favorite - cobblestone.
9. At school, Sarah has had exactly one pencil throughout the entire school year, and it's bright blue.
HintBy the way, the medieval era's style includes mansions and castles.
Sarah's username is Blue_Pencil, and she built a mansion and likes cobblestone.
Kate's username is puppy23, and she built a statue and likes emerald.
Connor's username is DragonLord, and he built a skyscraper and likes redstone.
Jared's username is jtepic, and he built a castle and likes sponge.
Apr 02, 2014
|Good job but I'm not very good at these things, even when I use a grid, matrix, or table.|
I like them, though, because of the challenge (to me) of something new.
I gave it high marks and would like to see more from you.
Apr 27, 2014
|Very clever, I enjoyed it.|
However, not ever having played MineCraft, a useful hint would have been about the electric stone.
May 06, 2014
|OK, I should have paid more attention to the title, it might have helped more if it was subtitled "Knowledge of Minecraft would be helpful.|
I managed to complete it, but that was in spite of baffling clues.
May 21, 2014
|Even if you haven't played Minecraft, almost all of the clues should be standard. The only ones that might confuse people would be the ones about redstone and there are even two helpful clues about it. It was good but quite easy. Some clues, I felt, stated the same thing twice making it relatively easy. Good show, though.|
Jul 09, 2014
|I too know nothing about Minecraft, but that is half the charm of doing these things, you invade someone else's world for a few minutes.|
Some of the clues were baffling, but that just makes it more of an achievement.
Jul 16, 2014
|I know nothing about Minecraft, but enjoyed this. The last clue is unnecessary and there was a little confusion, because one could "live" in either a castle or a mansion, but I figured it out! Good job!|
Jan 08, 2015
|Several clues were flawed, or required knowledge of Minecraft to figure out; these don't really belong in a logic-grid puzzle. What pencil Sara used at school gives you a good guess about what her user name is likely to be, but it doesn't strictly give you any information about the puzzle - she could really like that pencil and still call herself DragonLord. Clue #5 doesn't really tell you anything about what puppy23 built - it only tells you that she is female, which we already knew from clue #2 (and without knowing whether jtepic might refer to a dog's name, clue 2 left it ambiguous whether this was a legal user id for the boys). Clue #3 tells you nothing unless you have outside knowledge of what Minecraft blocks do.|
An ideal logic-grid puzzle shouldn't require any knowledge of the outside world beyond what is stated in the problem (sometimes people stretch this in assuming that we know which names are male or female), and should be precise about what possibilities each clue is ruling in or out. I appreciate the effort in creating this puzzle, but I would recommend tightening up your clues in future puzzles of this sort.
Jan 27, 2015
|Had fun with this. I am a Minecraft player so it wasn't that hard. Being a non-Minecraft player would still make it easy though. Anyways, go to Youtube and look up DanTDM. Love him! Not really, like like... he's married |
Jun 22, 2015
|Nice one. I am not an expert at L-G but I solved this one. |
Back to Top