Savannah got distracted when her shuttle arrived at Earth Central Airport. Now she's at Lost & Found with four other travelers all waiting to retrieve one lost piece of luggage of a different color (black, blue, green, red or yellow.) While filling out their baggage retrieval paperwork, they discovered an amazing coincidence. Each person had the last name of one other person's nationality and another's destination country (America, England, France, Panama or Zambia). Nobody had the same last name, nationality or destination country of anyone else in the group. Each person is traveling from his or her country of origin to only one other country. Use the following clues to determine each traveler's first name, last name (L), nationality (N), destination country (D) and baggage color. Because this is Logic Land, the unlikelihood of the travelers actually sharing the same airport is not of any concern in solving this puzzle.
1. Each traveler's last name, nationality and destination country are three different names.
2. Ms. Panama is neither the Zambian citizen nor the one going to England; Carmelita wants her suitcase to stand out, so she is not the person with the black bag. (All five travelers are mentioned in this clue.)
3. The person bound for France, who asked Echo where she bought her fragrant cup of coffee, sat next to Mr. England.
4. Echo is not the French citizen that helped Pierre with his paperwork.
5. Of the person with the lovely yellow suitcase and Savannah, one is traveling to Zambia and the other is the American citizen.
6. Pierre's destination country is the nationality of the owner of the black bag; the destination country of the owner of the black bag is Pierre's nationality.
7. The person surnamed America is not going to France and the person traveling to America has either a blue or green bag.
8. Juan, who does not have yellow luggage, does not have England as his last name.
9. The five travelers are the American, Echo, the blue suitcase owner, the one traveling to Panama and Ms. France.
Hint:Hint: We know that Echo is a woman from clue 3, so there are 3 women and 2 men. Pierre is Mr. England from clues 3 & 8. He must be Zambian since he cannot be any of the other people in clue 2. Since Pierre is Zambian, clue 6 tells us that the owner of the black luggage must be the one going to Zambia. In clue 5, Savannah must be the owner of the black bag since the person going to Zambia cannot have the yellow bag (clue 6), which makes the yellow bag's owner the American. Next look at clue 9 for information on the remaining two travelers.
See answer for complete step-by-step solution.
Comments on this teaser
|Posted by braindeadmommia||09/25/09|
|Great job! Loved the tricky tracking of names, nationalities and destinations. :D|
|Posted by caberet||09/25/09|
|Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. :P|
|Posted by lesliep72875||09/28/09|
|Wow, this was great. I think my brain is shot now. :D|
|Posted by J-Five||09/30/09|
The main reason I thought it was hard where a lot of varaitions of names.|
|Posted by J-Five||09/30/09|
|But I agree it was hard!!!|
|Posted by jccole||09/30/09|
The duplicate last names, nationalities and destinations added a nice twist.|
|Posted by chaskey||10/05/09|
|I really enjoy the way you word the clever clues; they are quite clear, but complicated. Some day soon I hope to solve it! :roll: :D|
|Posted by monaleo||11/07/09|
|Another great puzzle! I am brand new to this site. I just did cabaret's new puzzle and wanted to do others by this member. This one is even more fun than the last.
I loved how the first clue resulted in 15 boxes filled in the grid. And how the yellow/Savannah clue tied in with the I think it was the 2nd clue. And there were no extra clues. Please keep these coming.
I am off to try your 3rd teaser!|
|Posted by mocha613||12/23/09|
|Wow, I'm a bit embarassed I had to use your hint, but that was fantastic! Thanks!|
|Posted by chriscat||10/21/10|
|Nice! Messed up early on -- read a "not" into a clue where there wasn't one -- but then restarted and got it. Very enjoyable.|
|Posted by mom_rox||01/01/11|
|very fun! nice job (my only quibble is that I would list the surname in the grid as France instead of French.)|
|Posted by wiser_now||01/19/11|
|Loved it. Challenging but doable!|
|Posted by Suzanne12345||05/25/11|
|This one was a great challenge. Extreme concentration was exercised. Very well done.|
|Posted by mrsfessler||05/28/11|
|Great job! Once I realized that I had skipped a clue, I got it! :oops:|
|Posted by dreamlvr1432||06/14/11|
|Excellent puzzle! Really worked my brain on that one...had to break out the pen and paper to keep track. :D|
|Posted by extremeblueness||07/14/13|
|Absolutely brilliant! I actually had to make a second logic grid on paper for clues two and nine!|
Most Popular | Hardest | Easiest
Privacy | Terms
Copyright © 2003